OK,WHAT IS YOUR MOST DEPENDABLE FIREWOOD SAW?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Solo is not a very popular saw here in the states. They only offer a few models now. Those Germans do make some nice saws though.

Just checked their site, solousa, pretty cool you could order directly from the site, and the prices are clear and upfront right there. They have up to a 75cc offered. Similar "comes from Germany" prices like the other guys.

Most of the wood I've cut over my life has been with the L65. Carb cleanings, a few plugs, new kill switch and I think a coil once are the only work it's needed since purchased by my dad in 78.

My go to saw is my Jonny 2159 for all around cutting but my Jonny 2171 is my real favorite.
Have lots of saws, but same here my 2159 is picked up most often. It has been modified (muffler ,carb limits gone, 3/8 full chisel 18"chain,sprocket, use recreational fuel,stihl ultra oil).This saw has perfect balance,no vibration,sounds bad ass,cuts only hard wood. I smile with a hard on while cutting!

Have lots of saws, but same here my 2159 is picked up most often. It has been modified (muffler ,carb limits gone, 3/8 full chisel 18"chain,sprocket, use recreational fuel,stihl ultra oil).This saw has perfect balance,no vibration,sounds bad ass,cuts only hard wood. I smile with a hard on while cutting!
lol and my wife say's im sick?? lol so it must run in the woods family!

Ran a ported 460 Husky with a 24" bar as a young teen at my parents house. Only had a wood stove and PLENTY of firewood. Just now ready for a rebuild (after 15 years oh heavy, hard use)... You can find them pretty cheap used.

Bought a Husky 51 brand new back around 1994; several cords or so per year for the first 10 ish years, but this is the 11th season that I've been cutting about 15 cord per year (heating house, shop, and DHW, summers included), not counting what we do for my Dad plus deer camp plus cutting for friends, co-workers, etc., so this saw has been to hell and back more than once and it just keeps going; it starts & runs like it did the day I brought it home. Unbelievable.

I's have t say Grandpa's Mac 35... According to Dad he bought it new at a hardware store in Hutchinson KS in '63. The rope is broken right now (and requires an act of P.F.M. to replace). If the rope was installed I'd bet money that it would pop on the 2nd pull and be running on the 3rd... Not bad for a 51 year old saw that's all original except for the pending rope replacement...

I have a 066 that I bought on eBay over 10 years ago. It always goes with me to cut firewood. I run a 32" and a 24" bar on it.

I have a Husqvarna 44 that I bought not running for $20. I put a fuel line and a carb kit on it and it ran like new. I love that saw. It's reliable and has a high power to weight ratio. It was made in 1983 and is one of the best saws I have.

Bob

My stihls and huskys always need work, or tuning, or both. Sadly, my only saw that just works without any maintenance is my little poulan.

Latest posts

Back