Okay, seriously need help getting this old stihl running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am almost computer illeterate or was that illigetimut it took me 20 mins to find a place to post a reply but the poulan was 2 feet long without the bar and 16 inches wide and about12 inches tall please I feel I have to include this almost every time NEVER USE ETHANOL IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME Take you'r mix shake it up put some in a quart jar with lid set it over night watch it separate you wouldnt use straight gas in you'r saw so why use grain alcohol that won't stay mixed with petroleum oil test me out every time you run you'r saw on grain alcohol it loses more compression sorry to use this as a platform to reply to you'r mercury (blues) question but i am a saw mech who cares !

Christopher, I know we are getting a little off topic here, but, you mentioned a big old Mercury from back in the day. I happen to have one so I posted a pic so others could see it. It's a Disston DA211 chainsaw, with a Mercury engine. In the picture were 2 big old Homelites so I gave the specs on them. Then I added the specs for that big old bear of a Poulan too. I never posted any questions about my Disston, blues or otherwise. I just like BIG saws. I agree about the crap ethanol in fuel. But I'm stuck in MD where it all has Ethanol and I go through about 5 gallons every 2 weeks. I haven't had any saws die from it, but I have changed a lot of fuel lines that melted, Joe.

Hey guys, so not to interupt the current convo...but the compression issue has been resolved. And now there is a NEW issue.

First- turns out red RTV was the culprit. I read that is a good thing to put on the cylinder gasket. The tech at my local shop informed me that it doesn't play well with gasoline. We just swapped out the gasket and it is holding pressure at 150psi.

New issue- muffler rattled apart. There is about 3/4 inch of pipe between the exhaust flange and the main body of the muffler. That pipe broke in two, completely severing the muffler from the saw. Question: best methods for welding these mufflers? I cant really tell if it is cast iron/ cast steel/stamped steel under all the rust.

My local tech said that some cheap pot metal (coat hanger) and an acetylene torch is the way to go. Anyone done this?

Latest posts

Back