Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, y'all got it figured out like a well oiled machine. I had fun today, and it was nice putting faces to names for those that I met. I didn't meet everyone, but there will be other times I'm sure. I got in the door about twenty minutes ago and have just snapped my first cold one. Thanks for letting me crash the party.

Have a sales rep that sells mulching machines in the shop for repairs to his truck. He said that they have a customer that has one of their 400 HP machines that took down and completely mulched a 48" oak 100' tall in 45 minutes. [emoji54]

f8465d4fb57cbe069f3f9ddb41366630.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V
That would be cool to watch, if it was softwood. But oak? What a waste!!

Today turned out to be a great day. Perfect weather with a super bunch of guys and gals. This was the 9th Charity Cut, and I have to tell everyone, every time I throw a date out I do nothing but worry about how it's going to go. And (hit myself on my head with a hammer) after 9 of these, there really ain't that much to be concerned with.
As Matt told me one time "Ya have to learn to be more fluid". 9 of these things, and no two have been alike. They've all turned out great and they keep getting better, and that's because of you all. Everybody has a great time while working themselves to a frazzel. We figured about 30 loads went out, which figures to about 10 cord.
Every time you all show up I'm more inspired. A really good feeling, too.
Thanks to the new faces for showing up, (I hope you're addicted, now) :) and to the old crew for being faithfull. I've known some folks, in my life for 30+ years, and they don't hold a candle to the friendship I have with you all.
Everybody here is just wonderful.
Thanks for helping me and thanks for being in my life.
Steve

Jetmd - Stihl 08: 50cc later when updated to 08-s = 56cc.
- The air cleaner on your saw is off of an TS-350 cut off saw which used the basic 08 power head. The right air filter is a mesh cylinder held in place with a threaded cap which was almost flush with the back of the saw.
- The muffler should have a heat shield on the top of the muffler to help protect you hand.
- Weight with a 17" bar & chain is around 18.5 lbs.

Stihl made a "homeowners's" version of the 08 called an S10 in both a top handle & a rear handle. The top handle looked the same as the 08 except for a cast aluminum muffler & the model number on the oil tank. As you will likely put new fuel line on it, the vent tube has a set screw pushed, NOT SCREWED into the end of the tube 3-4 threads. If you screw it in the threads will cut into the tubing preventing it from allowing air to pass/vent into the fuel tank.

Starting instructions is to slide the choke lever to the rear, "0" position & to lock the throttle in a half throttle position. Since it hasn't been run recently, take the air filter of & drop 4-5 drops of mixed fuel into the carburetor before trying to start it. As long as you have spark, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't start within 4-6 pulls. To kill/turn the saw off, there may be a shorting button between the choke slide & the spark plug wire. If not, slide the choke on. You may have to squeeze the throttle as well.

I have 2 - 08s, 2 - S10 top handles & 2 - TS-350 12" cut off saws. Only 7,000 rpms in the cut but have torque. I have a 25" bar on 2 of them & they oil them well. The others have 17" bars. All are run with .404 chain. I use the 08S' & S10's regularly.

Thanks for the info and tips! I have not checked to see if it has spark yet. It does have compression, enough to
hold the weight of the saw. I do not have a compression tester, guess I should invest in one.

Thanks All! it was fun... I cut some wood... got sore... bugged some people, fell down one time , and finally did the "splits" in a log pile on the bucking trailer..
Alan had to move my foot up so i get back up ! for the first time I hit the trailer, but oh no not with a sucky woodland pro chain,... but a nice new LGX!
but at least i didnt saw metal with anyone elses saw :) Tabby had fun splitting with Goldie, now she see's why I like to go to these :) good people :)
Steve thanks for thinking of me and bringing the old 610, but it has a good home with you :) thanks to all the new guys :) im terrible with names
i remember steve ss, name.......... idk .... i am best with faces .... and all my great and wonderful friends I have made the last couple years
thanks Matt for giving rides to most of these things and making me smarter and stuff, and Alan for finding the rare CP-70 carb

Man, y'all got it figured out like a well oiled machine. I had fun today, and it was nice putting faces to names for those that I met. I didn't meet everyone, but there will be other times I'm sure. I got in the door about twenty minutes ago and have just snapped my first cold one. Thanks for letting me crash the party.
it was good to meet you too :)

Today turned out to be a great day. Perfect weather with a super bunch of guys and gals. This was the 9th Charity Cut, and I have to tell everyone, every time I throw a date out I do nothing but worry about how it's going to go. And (hit myself on my head with a hammer) after 9 of these, there really ain't that much to be concerned with.
As Matt told me one time "Ya have to learn to be more fluid". 9 of these things, and no two have been alike. They've all turned out great and they keep getting better, and that's because of you all. Everybody has a great time while working themselves to a frazzel. We figured about 30 loads went out, which figures to about 10 cord.
Every time you all show up I'm more inspired. A really good feeling, too.
Thanks to the new faces for showing up, (I hope you're addicted, now) :) and to the old crew for being faithfull. I've known some folks, in my life for 30+ years, and they don't hold a candle to the friendship I have with you all.
Everybody here is just wonderful.
Thanks for helping me and thanks for being in my life.
Steve

thanks for all you do my friend :) :) :)

Morning everyone. I sure would like to make one of those charity cuts. I plan to make a gtg this year and hopefully I'll make charity cut to.

I'm going to make trip to Salina to pick some Stihls today and then I'm plannin on cutting the last, and largest, part of a honey locust.

Oliver and Jet, I'd like to find a 08 carcass. A few years ago I bought a box of nos oem Stihl parts. Among them a 08 piston and cylinder, crank assembly and lower case! Come to think of it, that case could be for the 350 if there's a difference(?). I don't know much about cutoff saws. I remember that most of the parts in that box are cutoff parts.

I'm interested to see how it cuts & your thoughts on the minimal porting approach.
Wasn't really going for performance on this one.. Just get it back to work, so it seemed like a perfect opportunity to go minimal, and see how it runs..
I think there's something to this squish band cutting.. Just from an efficiency stand point.. Sans the 200 lbs of comp..
I'll bet this one ain't 170 even..

Back