ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Old Husqvarna 61

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by jhovda, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jhovda

jhovda New Member

First post. I was impressed with the amount of knowledge in this forum, so I decided to join. Not for what I can add, but what I can learn.

Anyways, I have a Husqvarna that has on the tag: Practica 61 1611 17895

Could someone help me with the build date? I cannot find a manual on Husqvarna's website other than one that is for 61 & 268. I am not confident that this is the right manual.

Any information would be helpful. Unfortunately, I have to order some parts for it so I need the build date.

2. taplinhill

taplinhill Addicted to ArboristSite

From those numbers, I think that would be one of the first 61, probably '78-'80ish, but not sure. I never found out how the Practica fit in with the Rancher in those early days. I'll have to take a look at my IPL's when I get home. If you can post some pictures of it.

3. jhovda

jhovda New Member

Thanks for the reply. I will post pics when I get home. The clutch cover has a square logo that says '61'. That's pretty much it for identity markings.

4. SawTroll

SawTroll Information Collector

I am pretty sure Practica and Rancher is the same thing, on different markets, white top covers on both, until 1984/85.

I agree that it is a very early one, as the serial number leaves no clue (to me) on when it was made.

5. mattinky

mattinky Addicted to ArboristSite

My 61 is an old Practica model with the the "clueless" serial # so I'm not exactly sure of the year. Most of the basic parts interchange from year to year but I did find that the chain brake parts vary and the older models used 5mm muffler studs (NLA from Husky) so I had to drill and tap the holes in my cylinder to 6mm X 1.0 to make the newer style studs work (the originals were missing along with the muffler when I got it). Parts are pretty easy to find for those saws, there's lots of good used stuff on eBay.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. bama

bama Addicted to ArboristSite

Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
    Same here. Very old. It has "practica" stamped on the clutch cover. I changed out the top cover with a Jonsered 630 and switched intake and air filter mounts so I could use the 630 air filter. It is also much easier to get to the filter now. I also like the look of black and orange better. It is almost as good as black and red.:cheers:

7. jhovda

jhovda New Member

Thanks for the replies. Husqvarna USA responded to my request and they tell me that it was manufatured in 1981.

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket pistons from Bailey's ?:confused:

8. cord arrow

cord arrow Addicted to ArboristSite

I've had no problems with their aftermarket parts to date...

9. mattinky

mattinky Addicted to ArboristSite

I've got a Forester (Chinese?) piston in mine that I got on eBay and it seems to be doing just fine. It was actually a very nice looking piston, I've put quite a few trouble free hours on it this winter