Old Remington Chainsaw info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahha!! A 990!! Will you sell for.... lol Just kidding of course!! LOL!!

However I do have a request - can you hurry up and restore the 990, then take a vid of it ripping through some wood? :D I want to see/hear this beast in action!! :D:D

I hear ya about the sentimental part. Dad gave me his old Montgomery Ward 3.6 and I decided to restore it - bought 1 PL4 and (what turned out to be a PL55 - 4.0ci) for parts, and you know what? They BOTH run (and run DAMN WELL) so I cant cannibalize em... Another addiction has begun!! :banghead:

Sorry it has been so long, but I had to clear some other projects off of my work bench before I got started on these saws. I started with the Mighty Mite saw. I have followed the instructions for dissasembly to a tee, and have gotten to taking the cylnder off, and had to stop. Need to get a snap ring pliers and drift punch from work to take the piston off.

So after getting this far, I have a few questions:

After going this far, is it worth totally dissasembling the rest of the motor?

It has a tillotson carb on it. It looks very clean, and everything thing works smoothly. Should I try to get a re-build kit for it (if they are available), or just leave it be? Along with that, Where can I find kits to rebuild these carbs?

The bearing on the gear sprocket is totally shot. Is there anywhere to get replacements? I saw Chainsawrar offers them, but is sold out. My company sells bearings for electrical motors, so I'm going to see if I can find a new one there.

Thanks for any help as always

dff110

The clutch drum bearing is 99.44% likely to be a Torrington available at most any industrial supply house or one of the site sponsors. Same with the wrist pin bearing and crankpin needles. Crank bearings are split even steven between radial ball and roller configuration depending on who made the saw. A few are special and hard to find.

Depending on how much crud in in the carb. you could just clean it as long as you don't mess up a gasket or if the rubber goods are stiff. Kits are anywhere from 8-15 bucks.

Points are easily filed/sanded or honed clean and shiny, so no need to replace them.

Gaskets are easy to make. Get a roll of suitable FelPro from O'Reilleys.

Rings are offered for popular newer models from the site sponsors. There is always evilbay and 'The Greek'.

New cylinders or pistons you can forget as most (except Stilavarnadolmerjonnyredshinny) are NLA.

Sorry it has been so long, but I had to clear some other projects off of my work bench before I got started on these saws. I started with the Mighty Mite saw. I have followed the instructions for dissasembly to a tee, and have gotten to taking the cylnder off, and had to stop. Need to get a snap ring pliers and drift punch from work to take the piston off.

So after getting this far, I have a few questions:

After going this far, is it worth totally dissasembling the rest of the motor?

It has a tillotson carb on it. It looks very clean, and everything thing works smoothly. Should I try to get a re-build kit for it (if they are available), or just leave it be? Along with that, Where can I find kits to rebuild these carbs?

The bearing on the gear sprocket is totally shot. Is there anywhere to get replacements? I saw Chainsawrar offers them, but is sold out. My company sells bearings for electrical motors, so I'm going to see if I can find a new one there.

Thanks for any help as always

dff110

You should be able to find a carb. kit at most any small engine shop (saw or lawn mower). The carb will have letters and numbers on it such as Hl149 os Hu 132. Usually two letters and then three numbers. If you can not find or read them carry the carb. with you when you go to buy the kit.
If it has been setting for ten years I would diffently put a kit in it. Saves a lot of trouble.
Don't forget to come back and post a video when you get the 990 running. I have a super 754, Super 660 and a Remington Rancher that are runners with some parts saws. Nothing to go with what you have. One piece of advice that you do not need to forget. When you get the 990 repaired and are starting it, wear ear protection. You will need it. Tom

I did rebuild the carb, I found a new clutch bearing NOS from an old remington dealer not far from my house. The assembly went very smoothly. Today I tried to start it for the first time. I have left the air filter off for this to watch everything. With the choke fully closed it popped with two of three pulls. I opened the choke, and nothing would happen. It seems to be getting to much gas, as gas can be observed splashing out the top of the carb, and the spark plug gets wet. I re-adjusted both the idle screw and low idle screw to the specs givin in the rebuild manual. And tried to start it again a few hours later. this time not holding the trigger in. On full choke, it popped with the first pull. Choke open, it tried to run a time or two, and then it gets flooded out, and gas is still splashing out the top, and running out of the exhaust.

Any help on this would be great.

DFF

I bought a Parts saw Remington Mighty Mite Weekender, Turns out that one was bearly used, and in good shape, I restored this one and my Original Mighty Mite. Both Run like a charm, just need to buy a new Chain, and Sproket for one.
attachment.php

Also, I found a great deal on an old Remington Bantam. From the outside, everything looks to be in very good shape.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

When I bought this on ebay, I thought it would be about the size as a Mighty Mite. This Bantam is huge. Almost as big as the 990!

I'm going to work on the PL-5 next. Then move onto the Super 990 that everyone is waiting to see.

I bought a Parts saw Remington Mighty Mite Weekender, Turns out that one was bearly used, and in good shape, I restored this one and my Original Mighty Mite. Both Run like a charm, just need to buy a new Chain, and Sproket for one.
attachment.php

Also, I found a great deal on an old Remington Bantam. From the outside, everything looks to be in very good shape.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

When I bought this on ebay, I thought it would be about the size as a Mighty Mite. This Bantam is huge. Almost as big as the 990!

I'm going to work on the PL-5 next. Then move onto the Super 990 that everyone is waiting to see.

Yes, I would say that you have the fever. I am no expert on the Remingtons, but I like them. I have some parts (not many) or if you need some information send me a PM and I will try to help. I think that I have some IPL'S,. I am not sure or how many. I am pretty sure that I do not have one on the 990.

Tom PS You need to ask a moderator to transfer this thread to the Remingtom thread. You will get more response.

Last edited:
I agree with Tom, but I think the fact that you brought 990 cred to the main page, people will watch this one.

Dff, you`ve been bitten hard :cool2: Looking for mitey might parts and come home with a runner, the parts you need and a nice looking bantam too boot :msp_thumbup: Nice work on the mitey mite, like Tom also said, I, too have a few PL-5 parts, if you get stuck.

I have an old Remington Yardmaster, no markings anywhere except on the clutch side housing. Trying to figure out the oil pump system. The link to the trigger is there but seems just to hang, not linked to anything. Does anyone have a pic showing how this link should operate or a service manual for this saw?

Back