Old saw company from Joplin, MO?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astnmacgto

Carnac The Magnificent
Reaction score
Looking for as much info as I can find on a company from joplin, mo
I have a tecumseh power products chainsaw engine model ah81, the saw portion was built by a company called blackburn sales company out of joplin, mo. if anybody has any info on this place or knows where I can find info please let me know,
Thanks, ADLM

Put up a pic of your saw.
Put up a pic of the tag too.
Back then, any company willing to put up with the money, could pop a logo on a saw or mower, and sell it as theirs.
They just got them from a known mfgr.. Like buying a J.C. Penney lawnmower.

Yeah I knew that was the case, I'm sure there was a ton of those saws around with 100s of different names, the company on mine isn't around anymore, I'd like to find out what they sold or what kind of business they were in, mostly for my own curiosity I guess. Mine is new to me so I haven't had a chance to get it all cleaned up.

Attachments

• 20160827_170038.jpg
    20160827_170038.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 20160827_170054.jpg
    20160827_170054.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 64
Put up a pic of your saw.
Put up a pic of the tag too.
Back then, any company willing to put up with the money, could pop a logo on a saw or mower, and sell it as theirs.
They just got them from a known mfgr.. Like buying a J.C. Penney lawnmower.
I did some research on the power head portion, I can't believe that it's 130cc!

Good idea I never thought about that, I bet they probably have business records of that place hiding somewhere as well

Mono were made in Sprinfield Missouri and many have one Power Products engine or another.

Barker were made down there or over on the Kansas side not far away.

Mono w/AH81.
1c0cd8d982b8f2b5cb0c3a484904b8a9.jpg

781db31f01b0ca0b6b5f41951f0e0b21.jpg

Weren't Lawn Boy mowers made in Joplin ? I checked , LB was built in Lamar MO from 1952 to 1963 , no mention of saws .
(talking to myself hahaha )

Best Catfish and peanut butter pie was at a place called the moo cow cafe not too far from Farmington MO .

Blackburns was a shop I bought a SXL 12 from them years ago new.They were on south main about 18th.Root which used Power Products motors was made in Baxter Springs Ks. just west oh Joplin Lawnboy was made in Lamar .Dont think they were ever in Joplin.Hope this helps.First saw I ever owned was a root with the AH 81 motor,it was made in Baxter Springs

Blackburns was a shop I bought a SXL 12 from them years ago new.They were on south main about 18th.Root which used Power Products motors was made in Baxter Springs Ks. just west oh Joplin Lawnboy was made in Lamar .Dont think they were ever in Joplin.Hope this helps.First saw I ever owned was a root with the AH 81 motor,it was made in Baxter Springs
That does give me some insight, was blackburn like a locally owned hardware store? Or something else,
Thanks, ADLM

Locally owned small engine sales and repair shop.I know they sold Homelite and I think they sold lawnmoweres.Just a small shop.Mom and pop type hop.
That's awesome, Im so glad that I was able to find information on it, my favorite part about collecting is finding out the story of the saw, some of my favorite saws are the ones that I get from the original owner and they have all kinds of stories about when they first bought it when they were my age, those are the saws I can't put a price on, do you live in joplin?

That's awesome, Im so glad that I was able to find information on it, my favorite part about collecting is finding out the story of the saw, some of my favorite saws are the ones that I get from the original owner and they have all kinds of stories about when they first bought it when they were my age, those are the saws I can't put a price on, do you live in joplin?
How did you get the saw?

I got it from a guy at a local swap meet/antique festival. Where he got it I don't know but atleast I can trace it back to the actual shop that it came from. I just got a mcculloch D44 from my neighbor that his dad bought new in 1957, he said he remembered coming home from the army in 1959 and getting to use it and thinking how cool it was to have such a powerful and lightweight saw hahaha

Just thinking, maybe contact some Blackburns still in the area, I am sure that there are a few of the family still around.
They would probably be thrilled to see one of those saws too!

Yeah I'll prolly refrain from contacting that guy haha maybe old cookie would remember the owners name? I feel like unless I got ahold of the owner or their kids they probably won't care unfortunately

Latest posts

Back