Old Saws for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If time was an issue I would go to the lumber yard and buy the stuff I need. Kinda like in the long run I'd prolly be better off just buying gas rather than burning wood for heat. I enjoy putzing with my saws and what's better than showing off a building with boards you milled yourself with trees you took down off of your own land.

That's one of the problems I run into. I open the log up and it's too nice for the planned project. I brought home a couple fir logs to make a new deck and side boards for my little half cord trailer. Once I got the first log done, the boards were so pretty I made a work bench in my wife's potting shed. Now she calls it the Taj Mah Bench. I was going to use the boards from the second log for the deck, and then I took a picture of my old Savage on one, and I got several requests for boards to mount rifles on, so no trailer deck, Joe.

That's one of the problems I run into. I open the log up and it's too nice for the planned project. I brought home a couple fir logs to make a new deck and side boards for my little half cord trailer. Once I got the first log done, the boards were so pretty I made a work bench in my wife's potting shed. Now she calls it the Taj Mah Bench. I was going to use the boards from the second log for the deck, and then I took a picture of my old Savage on one, and I got several requests for boards to mount rifles on, so no trailer deck, Joe.

I can see that being a problem--it happens to me when I am cutting fire wood already.

I would try and get your hands on an 075/076 or 2100cd. Those are both good for milling and are about 100cc +. You could pick up a rough 075/076 for around 400 and same with the 2100's.

There's actually a 2100 that just came up on the tradin forum for 500 bucks power head only. Definitely worth checking out. Hope this helps.

-BOA

Norwood Portamill would be highly recommended for your use, as low cost ($999), easy use (ladder and STANDING operation, NOT kneeling like Alaskan, easy transport/ storage (smaller pieces), flexibility, transport TO the log vs moving the log. Next cheaper would be Alaskan MkIII. Chainsaw/ bar size depends on LOG SIZE? Back troubles/ pains brought me to the LogosolM8 ($2k, USD sale) with Small Log Mill for slabbing LUCK to ya! 60-75cc will work for 12-20" logs OK

If you're going to do a lot of thinner boards a Norwood style mill may be your best bet. The ports ill uses an extension ladder as a frame to ride down. Much quicker than the Alaskan style for making lots of boards.
I looked into the Norwood and I think I am going to pick one up! Thanks for the sugestion. I was originally thinking about a Panther Pro, The Norwood looks like a similar system but appears higher quality.

Thanks to everybody for the advice, tips/comments! I ended up buying a Husqvarna 181se, I will give it try and see how it works out. It's a little smaller than what I was looking for but I came across it at a reasonable price so I thought It was worth a try. Now to buy the Mill.

Older saws can be a great bargain and get you going in bigger CC maybe than some new, but the big advantage to newer is the "Anti-vibration" features that really make a huge difference at the end of the day

Older saws can be a great bargain and get you going in bigger CC maybe than some new, but the big advantage to newer is the "Anti-vibration" features that really make a huge difference at the end of the day

I want to agree with the last part of that sentence ("at the end of the day") which is LITERALLY true in this case. ;)

I went the old saw route setting up my Granberg mill, Stihl 051av. The bar on it may be original and was dated 1985, of course the saw could be older, it is s/n 4714461 if anyone can date the saw by that age I'm appreciative. It may be just as economical to buy a new saw. It was a lot of time spent tinkering, looking for parts on Ebay and elsewhere, and getting it set up, making someone else's old saw my saw. There is a thread on this forum entirely focused on the 051/076 saws. Now that I have used the 051av to mill it looks like a success. It's performance, with Bailey's .404 ripping chain, has exceeded my expectations. I need to make many more boards to say definitely though.

Latest posts

Back