Old time saw porters "the legends"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK jonsered

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright, lets hear all the stories! I recently bought a Jonsereds 2095 ported by Ace Morgan from coos bay. Never heard of him so I researched for a long time on here to glean who he was---very excited to have this excellent cutting piece of history. Sad there wasn't more info on his work.

33353be2786e61c26ba0a7624398061e.jpg

So lets hear some stories of saws that you all have owned from old school porting geniuses (so next time I hear their names attached to a saw I know when to buy).

Remember, heroes get remembered, but legends never die....

A Ken Dunn ported saw.

Ken Dunn was definitely one of the legends. I talked to him on the phone years ago and he taught me a lot in just fifteen minutes. He told me about some bike engines he'd done in the 80's that sounded pretty awesome.

Ace Morgan was legendary here on the Oregon Coast. My dad had a kartsaw for a while from Ace- an Mc101 motor in a CP125 chassis. I have a 272 here ported by Ace.

Good to hear of others with Ace saws... Must last pretty good. That Ken Dunn saw looks like a real ripper! Thanks for more names to research guys.

Sent by dog sled

Here is a question... Anyone ever look in them? I got a project 2095 yesterday so I started getting curious what Ace did to mine---It accelerates better than an ms200t. So I removed the muffler, carb and spark plug. Without taking port numbers, I am a tad disappointed. The exhaust looks to be opened near its max from the factory---doesn't even have his signature groove. Intake still has casting marks from the factory on the roof. Ports all look stock, except for the lower transfers which are angled downward a good deal. The piston could not be viewed and it has some numbers on it I don't recognize----520395. Is it really so simple on these big saws? I have watched ported and stock 2095's on youtube and I know mine runs close to as good or better then any of the ported ones. No way this thing is stock. Top RPM, acceleration, and torque are all much better....
Hmmm, so many questions....
Gonna have to look at the port numbers some day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a question... Anyone ever look in them? I got a project 2095 yesterday so I started getting curious what Ace did to mine---It accelerates better than an ms200t. So I removed the muffler, carb and spark plug. Without taking port numbers, I am a tad disappointed. The exhaust looks to be opened near its max from the factory---doesn't even have his signature groove. Intake still has casting marks from the factory on the roof. Ports all look stock, except for the lower transfers which are angled downward a good deal. The piston could not be viewed and it has some numbers on it I don't recognize----520395. Is it really so simple on these big saws? I have watched ported and stock 2095's on youtube and I know mine runs close to as good or better then any of the ported ones. No way this thing is stock. Top RPM, acceleration, and torque are all much better....
Hmmm, so many questions....
Gonna have to look at the port numbers some day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The problem isn't always numbers, it's turbulence created by hard corners, recessed areas, and long tunnels. You'll hear "less is better" from some of the gurus...and that's one of the things they're talking about.

I have a stock 2094c, and it runs like a ported saw. It is a beast, by far the most stout 90cc class stock saw I have run.

Maybe the lower transfers were all the saw needed then :) I do love that saw.

Sent by dog sled

Alright, lets hear all the stories! I recently bought a Jonsereds 2095 ported by Ace Morgan from coos bay. Never heard of him so I researched for a long time on here to glean who he was---very excited to have this excellent cutting piece of history. Sad there wasn't more info on his work.

33353be2786e61c26ba0a7624398061e.jpg

So lets hear some stories of saws that you all have owned from old school porting geniuses (so next time I hear their names attached to a saw I know when to buy).

Remember, heroes get remembered, but legends never die....

Im gonna try and post a picture of one of ace morgans ported saws. I live in Alabama but got this saw from a friend in Arizona who had ace to port this saw for him. He was going to get in Timbersport completion but health prevented that from ever happening. you will notice on one of the pic's if I get them on there that on the metal I D tag for the saw that ACE stamped his initials in there. plus there was a silver sticker (Decal) higher up on the saw that was just stuck on there. Im not a saw mechanic, (I wish I was), so I can't answer a lot if any questions about the porting but I just thought some of you might like to see the picts. I too would love to know more about ACE
I was told by my friend from Arizona that he was a legend and I think that I heard that the man only had one arm. Im not totally certain of this but I did hear it. big820e.jpg big820I.jpg big820serialnuma.jpg big820botview.jpg This particular saw is a 1984 model. some of the pictures you see here and I think some more are on acres internet listed under the Josnsered 820. I hope adding these pictures works

I hear that a "Walkerized Saw" was legendary. I've also heard that they did very little to the inside of the jug.

I believe both are true. I have a early walkerized 372 and side by side with my 7900 you cannot tell the difference in power. Where the 7900 will run circles around my 372 that only has a muff mod.

Other than the exhaust port being opened up I don't know what else their voodoo entails. All I know is it is a heck of a runner. (Maybe one day I'll tear it down and find out, but probably not)

Steven

I live about three blocks from aces saw shop. Had honestly never heard of him...but have not been into saws very long.
That's awesome sparky. see what kind of background and info you can find out for us on Ace. I would love to get more information. PS ... I did a search on this site and there are severals posts concerning ace morgan and his building of race engines of all types. if you get a chance you might want to view some of those also.

Back