Oleo Mac Chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent heard of Oleo-Mac either, untill a few days ago...was visiting my local Husky dealer and he offered me a 970 which he origionally sold new, seems in good shape, just needs a chain...made in 1998. He says parts arent a problem, and this particular saw seems to have very good compression.
Im kind of tempted, but I dont really need it. Seems that they are still available in uk, although this particular guy now stocks Efco.

If you can get that 970 for a small amount of Euros g.b. p.`s etc I would go for it. With a muffler mod. they have a lot of grunt are rugged & well put together.Over here in France spares are easy to obtain & reasonably priced even here +we can get parts from Italy I had one & was Pestered out of it by my neibour He keeps going on about how good it is. Grrrrr wished i`d never let him have it Wouldn`t mind it myself if the price is right but then the shipping would kill the deal.

Well...I eventually weakened, and called by the dealer. £150, which I thought was a bit pricey...but it doesn't need anything fixed on it...so I bought! Has not been used for about four years, starts on the third pull, might be a good idea to seek out an IPL!

Well...I eventually weakened, and called by the dealer. £150, which I thought was a bit pricey...but it doesn't need anything fixed on it...so I bought! Has not been used for about four years, starts on the third pull, might be a good idea to seek out an IPL!

970 IPL source

Kevin

I believe a 162 would have been a bit better (more power, less weight)......:)
The 165 is a minor redesign with the stroke stretched from 34mm to 35mm.

Curiously, the WOT rpm was dropped from 13,500 to 12,500, and rated HP dropped from 4.7 to 4.35.

Otherwise it appears to be the same basic frame and weight as the old 56/62cc series.

I don't understand the reduction in speed and power. Their 56 is still rated at 13,500 rpm and the 81 is still at 13,000 rpm. Hard to make sense of what those Italians are doing. .:confused:

I picked up an older Oleo-Mac today (my first), type 261. I know these saws are plenty available in europe and less in the US, but still can't find a source for an IPL of these saws.
anyone has a link where the oleo-mac IPL can be found ?

thanks
roland

thanks. At first instance, I thought the IPL listed was not for my saw, but it covered several models...thanks Gmax.

PS. My 261 is not in a bad shape but it's not as nice as yours :)

Oleo Macs won't win any races or set any records but they are tough with a capital T.

Laurie (rooshooter on AS) told me a funny story once when his 880 blew up. He borrowed a mate's 120cc Oleo Mac and started cutting into a decent Redgum log with a 6' bar. He said it ran OK but was a bit "gutless" for a 120cc saw. He found out later it was only 100cc! By the way, I think this model saw is still available?

Here's some of the piccys, I don't think he'll mind. It would have to be one of the ugliest saws I've ever seen...

DSCF3147.jpg

DSCF3146.jpg

DSCF3140.jpg

DSCF3129.jpg

It's not his Landcruiser either that he's filling with woodchips ;)

Last edited:
That tree is huge....:jawdrop: nice pics !

Oleo Macs are heavy but dependable. They remind me of the early Solo's.
I'll post a pic of my 261 once I put her back together (carb issue)

I think the one Laurie is using is a 999F (different air filter,carb & rev limiting coil), It's doing a good job running that 6 foot bar.

What year were they made mate? They look like a dinosaur but I've seen Oleo Macs that look similar to this still for sale new.

What year were they made mate? They look like a dinosaur but I've seen Oleo Macs that look similar to this still for sale new.
The 999 ran from 1987-1994 after that was the 999F, they look like dinosaurs but their so easy to work on no issues with them apart from the odd coil failure
:)

here's a pic of the 261A I got last week. It had a small air leak at the cylinder base, but it took quite some effort to find it of course.

She purs very nicely now and has excellent compression. Very sturdy design and it seems like a nice firewood saw. Throttle response is not overwhelming compared to a modern saw, but it's pretty choked up as well at the muffler.

261acsmall.jpg

261aasmall.jpg

Your 261 looks good, about the same condition as mine there physically large for a 61cc saw (almost the same size as my 284F). Reliable old saws built like tanks.
Besides it's good to collect something different other than the common brand saws :)

I have a couple of the Oleo Mac Agristar 350's. About 50cc and they weigh slightly less than that Land Cruiser in Matt's picture.:D
Ugly as sin but very solid, reliable saws and really, really easy to start. I have them for loaner saws and no-one can kill them. BTW,
anyone have an air filter for one they are not using? Willing to pay!

P6260818.jpg

Al.

Back