on road diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is alot more sulfur in the off-road fuel but i dont see a porblem running it unless it has all that emissions crap.

don't keep track of regs... but a buddy works at an Oil/fuel testing lab.
he tells me... most times there's no difference between off-road and on-road diesel, except for the dye.

I beg to differ.
Ultra-low sulfur diesel was proposed by EPA as a new standard for the sulfur content in on-road diesel fuel sold in the United States since October 15, 2006, except for rural Alaska. California required it since September 1, 2006, and rural Alaska will transition all diesel to ULSD in 2010. This new regulation applies to all diesel fuel, diesel fuel additives and distillate fuels blended with diesel for on-road use, such as kerosene, however, it does not yet apply to train locomotives, marine, or off road uses. By December 1, 2010, all highway diesel will be ULSD. Non-road diesel transitioned to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and to ULSD in 2010. Locomotive and marine diesel also transitioned to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and to ULSD in 2012.

High sulfer Diesel also costs them less to produce as it doesnt have to be refined as much.

What kind on additive do you use in your chipper if you have to use on road diesel ?I heard that you should not run on road diesel if you dont use a additive is this true ?

Hi osb, I did not read all the posts, but I will say this. We use red dye in the chippers. I think that if you buy a new chipper in the future with the current administration, the engines will be conformed to not accept red dye-- it is all about money and "Being Green" (it is shull bit).
Jeff

My local fuel supplier started to put higher percentages of soydiesel into our off-road dyed fuel when they took the sulfur out to help it maintain it's lubrication properties. At different times of the year, adding lots more soybean oil to the diesel fuel does not cost any more and it lubricates better I am told. I would also rather help a mesh cap wearing farmer than a sheik.

Here in Missouri, I use dyed diesel fuel in all our off-road machines such as chippers, our tub grinder, farm tractors and even our old beater diesel pickups that never leave the farm. This way you avoid paying the road tax. You also can just save your receipts and at the end of the year turn them in for any fuel used off-road and they mail you a refund for the road tax on those gallons.

The local flat hatted DOT boys are famous for going to farm auctions and tree service yards and stick a strip of paper into the fuel tank and see if dyed fuel is present - you don't want that fine!

Hi osb, I did not read all the posts, but I will say this. We use red dye in the chippers. I think that if you buy a new chipper in the future with the current administration, the engines will be conformed to not accept red dye-- it is all about money and "Being Green" (it is shull bit).
Jeff

Not true: The current administration has Not changed the EPA regulations. The current engine emission regs were all in place under the right wing Busch admin.

Having said that, the CURRENT regs include a timetable to clamp down on off highway emissions and remove the sulfur (down to 15ppm) from off highway engines.

In other words off highway will be required to have the same specs as on highway fuel. Off highway engines will incorporate the same emission technologies as on highway engines.

Again, these plans have been in place for several years, so don't use the current admin as a scapegoat.

Clean air is a good thing for my grandchildren.

From a practical standpoint, most off road (dyed) fuel sold now actually meets on road (ULSD) standards.

Alan

Not true: The current administration has Not changed the EPA regulations. The current engine emission regs were all in place under the right wing Busch admin.

Having said that, the CURRENT regs include a timetable to clamp down on off highway emissions and remove the sulfur (down to 15ppm) from off highway engines.

In other words off highway will be required to have the same specs as on highway fuel. Off highway engines will incorporate the same emission technologies as on highway engines.

Again, these plans have been in place for several years, so don't use the current admin as a scapegoat.

Clean air is a good thing for my grandchildren.

From a practical standpoint, most off road (dyed) fuel sold now actually meets on road (ULSD) standards.

Alan

I wasnt going political, but this admin sucks and is the worst for business and freedom. Any way, this admin is pushing for 'cap and trade' and everything it can to socialize this country.
Jeff
Jeff

At the local fuel plant here the manager told me the red dyed off road fuel is the exact same diesel as the on road fuel. EXCEPT for the red dye and xtra road tax.
That being said I use power service additive in all my on and off road compression ignition engines.

As of 01/01/2011 all Diesel supplied here in the UK be it road fuel or off road fuel will be USLD and be allowed to be upto 7%Bio ! its to meet emmisions regulations and the likes of John Deere are now producing engines which meet EuroIIIB regs with catalysts and EGR !

we hsall see how the older engines will like the lack of sulphur!

Additives here we come :)

Wont be long here too !

Our wagons are already running teir 4 and 5 iirc ! AdBlue catalyst additive as standard ! :(((((

All on road fuel is ultra-low sulpher...greenish in color
red is non taxed that's why it's red :sad: Offroad,Boats,home heating etc
red....all the same
Will not be long before it's all ultra low

In the summer the company I work for can use 5000 gallons of fuel in a week with no problem. When the offroad tank is empty, I use the on road fuel in skids, hoes,tractors, whatever, and have not really had any problems. We don't use any additives, and probably buy the cheapest fuel available.

In the summer the company I work for can use 5000 gallons of fuel in a week with no problem. When the offroad tank is empty, I use the on road fuel in skids, hoes,tractors, whatever, and have not really had any problems. We don't use any additives, and probably buy the cheapest fuel available.

Yep. Diesel is a pipeline product meaning the fuel product is blended and is all the same. Certain companies add additives and most produce a winter mix. The additives are not regulated and no standards exist. The term "premium diesel" has no meaning.

Again, there is no difference between off road diesel and on road diesel except for the dye and the taxes.

there is no differance in the fuel except for red dye. all diesel is low sulfur, i deliver fuelb and can tell you it is all the same. this whole thing was a tax generator. if it makes you feel better you can add marvel mystery oil to the fuel to lubricate the pump. all new fuel systems are designed to run on low sulfur fuel. good luck.

there is no differance in the fuel except for red dye. all diesel is low sulfur, i deliver fuelb and can tell you it is all the same. this whole thing was a tax generator. if it makes you feel better you can add marvel mystery oil to the fuel to lubricate the pump. all new fuel systems are designed to run on low sulfur fuel. good luck.

Not here in New York - at least, not yet. Heating oil is red and high sulfur. Farm and off-road diesel is blue and medium sulfur. Highway fuel is clear an ultra-low sulfur. This varies between areas of the USA.

The sulfur itself has nothing to do with the lube in the fuel. It's the process of removing the sulfur that destroys some lubricity and BTU energy in the highway fuel.

As for anybody that says ultra-low can't hurt a mechanical injection pump . . . how the heck would you ever know?? A rotary mechanical pump with good fuel can last 1,000,000 miles. If you lowered it's total life by 2/3, you probably would never know the difference. To compound the issue, how many people have new injection pumps to start with - for a "test" of any sort?? Keep in mind that so-called "rebuilt" pumps use most main parts, as-is, without renewing the wear surfaces. So, a newly bought "rebuilt" pump might already have 500,000 miles on most moving parts. If it fails - who are you going to blame?

CAV-Lucas-Bosch-Stanadyne all give minimum lube specs for proper longevity of their rotary mechanical pumps Ultra-low sulfur fuel does NOT meet those specs unless lube additives are put into the fuel after processing. Fuel sold at highway pumps is supposed to have to proper additives already in the fuel. So, much depends on how trusting you are. Using some two-stroke-cycle oil mixed with the highway-diesel is good cheap insurance if you're running anything with a mechanical pump -off road OR on-road, makes NO difference.

Back