One saw for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS880 would be a one of the top choices I'm guessing. Thats what I would want.

I've got an 066 and mill that sort of thing fairly regularly (eucalypt). As much as I lust for an 084/088/880, if it were my *only* saw, I think my arms would fall off fairly quickly -- I can't imagine limbing with an 880...

When I mentioned only one saw, I should have said a dedicated milling saw. I have other saws for falling and limbing.
My local dealer doesnt stock sthil 880's or huskey 3120's. Just not much of a demand for such saws around here. Finding a used one locally would be pretty hard. I can always order one online if I go that route. I am leaning toward a 395xp if I can find one for a reasonable cost.

For just milling I would get the biggest saw you can afford. I mill with an 066 and it does great but I can always use more power, but that's just how I am. I have to have more power out of everything I own. My trucks, atvs, and saws all have been modded to get the most reliable power I can from them. Heck I even modify my kids atvs. I rarely, if ever, hear someone say man I wish I had a little less power. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, if it's only one saw for *milling*, then I'm firmly in the "no replacement for displacement" camp. That being said, a 90cc class saw will do what you want, no problems. If your other saws are Stihl, one benefit of the 90cc class (066/MS66x) is that they have the same bar mount as the smaller Stihls, and can run either 3/8 or 404 chain on the same sprocket (don't ask me how, I haven't looked into it yet), so if you decide one day that you want to use your 660 for something else, with a shorter bar, you've got the option. While my 066 *mostly* is just for milling, every now and then I appreciate the ability to stick a 24" or 30" bar on it and go to town on some Really Big Wood. I assume a similar situation would apply to some subset of Husky saws, but I've never had one so I can't authoritatively comment on what matches with what.

I can say for certain that my 24in bar for the huskey 365 will not fit on my smaller 55's, so I assume the bolt pattern change starts between the 50cc and 6occ saws. I dont own any sthil products. Havent owed a sthil since I bought my first L65 huskey and thats been a long time ago. That saw sets in my basement as I look for parts to put it back together again. I lent that saw to my son and when his house burnt a few years ago, the saw was forgotten about. I found it in a five gal bucket full of water, locked down. Anyways, I dont have anything against Sthil, just got used to having huskeys back in the 1980's and have only bought one new saw since then. I dont use a saw enough to wear one out. Right now, I am wanting something to do a little milling with, been thinking about building a band mill, but really wont be doing enough milling to justify building a shed to store it in. A chainsaw mill, I can just stick in the corner of the shop when I aint using it.

+1 on the 395, I sold my ported 088 and 880 as my ported would do anything they would do. Stock an 880 may have a bit more torque but for the length bar you mentioned the external clutch 395 is a great way to go at way less cost. Oh yea, 5 lbs less as well.

Got a lead today on a 088. Not gotten up with the owner yet, but guy that sold it at the saw shop said it was old stock that had been in the store for years. Guy that bought it had a few big trees to cut and hasnt used it since. As NOS, saw sold for $850, several years ago, got to get up with the current owner and see if he will sell. Guy at saw shop says it the only one he has ever sold, which sort of tells you of the demand for that size saw around here.

If you can get it for a little less than that price it would be a good deal for a like new 088. Good luck tracking it down.

One saw for milling only?

The biggest honking thing you can find.

Stihl 090. Runs so much cooler than my 088 & 084, especially in wide and long cuts. Also, better torque for pulling a long bar. When cutting tropical hardwood, the 090 is superior. Don't know in softer wood.

+1 on the 090. From my experience a stock 090 cuts better than a ported 088 or 880 when the bars are over 50 inch. I've had two of each, no comparison. The lower rpm is also less tiring

Back