one saw plan: 60-70 cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makita DCS6401 seems to have quite the following and quite a bit going for it, including a more than reasonable price. A good friend has one and it ran really well. Runs even better with a Bailey's 84cc big bore kit on it now! :chainsawguy:

I too, really like my 365 sp. But wouldn't mine try'n a 6400 dolakita.;)

The problem with todays "65cc" saws is that the weight is basically the same as many 70cc + ones, so "splitting the difference" between 60 and 70cc only makes sense if weight is irrelevant.

If your budget allows I would opt for a 372 or 2171/2. They weigh the same as the 65 cc counterparts with more power.

The problem with todays "65cc" saws is that the weight is basically the same as many 70cc + ones, so "splitting the difference" between 60 and 70cc only makes sense if weight is irrelevant.

Exactly.....thank you!

actually in Romania, 372 is 200$+ more expensive than 365,
if you don`t necessary need the extra power, I`d say 200$ are a lot of money.
if you are from USA, 365 I guess should be around 346XP (if still available) and the 372xp (also scares) is 800+ so you have 300$ dif. (I may be wrong)
- 300$ = another small saw for limbing; ex T435 or any other H saw
just my 0.02$

Makita 6401 at $475 at Bailey's price to wieght to power can't be beat. And you can upgrade it too!!!!

Go for a 70cc saw.

I have a Jonsered CS2171 & a Stihl MS361. The weight difference is pretty much insignificant, so at some point the 361 will probably find a new home.

EDIT--Some folks will say if you're going lug around a 70cc saw you might as well go for Dolmar 7900 / Makita 7901. And they probably have a good point.

Last edited:
Makita 6401 at $475 at Bailey's price to wieght to power can't be beat. And you can upgrade it too!!!!

The Makita has high weight/power numbers, but we're looking for the reciprocal of that fraction! :notrolls2:

I don't know it it's quite as big bore as the thread requires, but if I just wanted one dependable all-around saw, it would be the Efco 156.

Back