Only building 1000 psi.. ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Still got issues.. This time my fluid level is right, my choke is not on.. But when I get onto a tough piece my splitter is stalling.. Not the gas engine but the hydraulics.. So I put a 3k psi gauge inline at the port on the back of my cylinder .. It will jump to 1000 psi and just sit there.. Any suggestions as what I need to check? Thanks!

Ima idiot.. When you say spring in relief.. Is that located in my valve that controls the cylinder , or in my hydraulic pump?

Seems like a like this just started when I ran it a little low of fluid..

Pump making funny noises?
Ran it low on fluid and damaged the pump?
I can't see anything else what would be hurt with low fluid...
1000 is past the 500 or so that the 75% stage is set to drop out at, so you should be on the low speed higher pressure mode.
you could prove that the cylinder isn't leaking by pulling the retract hose off and point it back into the tank and jam it against a block at full pressure. There isn't supposed to be any flow past the piston.

I fired it up this morning with the same piece that it would not split last night still against the wedge.. It shot right through it.. No problem.. In fact I cut and split 4 more pieces and one had a pretty good knot in it. I watched the gauge and when it hit the knot, the hand jumped to 2500 psi for just a second, split the piece and went on..???

all is well, that ends well.
Something was stuck, and now unstuck?
I would think the bypass in the control valve, or the one in the pump.
Do not question. miracles happen. Keep yore eye on the fluid tho...

Well the shenanigans are back at it.. Ran for 2 hours.. Not a hiccup then outta the blue.. Right back to where it was.. Can't get over 1000 psi... Here's a picture of my control value.. Which part do I need to take off to check the bypass? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
I fired it up this morning with the same piece that it would not split last night still against the wedge.. It shot right through it.. No problem.. In fact I cut and split 4 more pieces and one had a pretty good knot in it. I watched the gauge and when it hit the knot, the hand jumped to 2500 psi for just a second, split the piece and went on..???

Classic sign of pump or seals worn. Cold it works good, but as it gets hot it bypasses.

What is the pressure with the cylinder all the way out or in?
If it can only hit 1000 it's a pump or valve issue. Of not, cylinder packing.

What is the pressure with the cylinder all the way out or in?
If it can only hit 1000 it's a pump or valve issue. Of not, cylinder packing.
Started it today and it split fine, put a 6 inch piece in sideways and it sheared it no problem.. Spiked at 2100 psi or so.. Only got to test run it a few minutes ... So I'm guessing worn pump..??

blkcloud, obviously your splitter is female. One minute it's fine the next minute it's the opposite. Hang a set of those fake chrome knuts off of it and it should be good to go.

Check your pump flow but it usually either works or it doesn't. Cheapest and easiest part to replace is the valve so maybe try that 1st? Know anybody with same splitter to switch out some parts? Filter sucked up some crap when you ran it low? Only a few parts but it sounds like it could be any one of them.

I carried my pump to a hydraulic shop this morning.. tore it down and could not find anything wrong with it.. measured all the bushings.. exactly .625.. measured the shafts.. all were .6245 and one was .6243.. I cant believe 1/2 of a thousandths would affect anything... i'm guessing these were made this size to allow a little oil flow between the shaft and the bushing.. all the o rings and seals were fine.. no metal shavings, nothing.. pump looked brand new... I have had it for about 6 months so it should... well i'm going to buy another one.. dont know what else to do..what pump do most of you use? this one was a mte.. I have had barns and had good luck with them.. thanks!

The pump itself is the least likely cause of splitter problems. I fit is broke it will not build pressure at all. If it is worn the amount of pressure it will produce will slowly diminish over time and the decline will be steady. This on and off again problem most likely in the control valve or the coupling between the engine and pump.

My piston and seal was trashed...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    720.4 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back