Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Open for opinion

Discussion in 'Wood Carving & Turning' started by Shanen Mannies, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Shanen Mannies

Shanen Mannies ArboristSite Member

Just looking for a little feedback, I have been trying hand with the chainsaw, this is the first one I have finished. I know it's not much, but it's mine..lol 20170413_230453.jpg 20170413_225704.jpg

Sleepy and Armbru84 like this.
  2. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

Needs a smile, or big rip your face off fangs.

Shanen Mannies likes this.
  3. buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer Addicted to ArboristSite

Western border of mid-southern northern WV
    Looks pretty good - you might take some of the taper off the muzzle. I like to google images and use them as a guide.

GrizzlyBear3.jpg

Shanen Mannies likes this.
  4. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

They look awesome to me. With a little more practice you will be world class. A friend of mine was rough cutting with a conventional chain saw then he got a chipper blade for one of his grinders and fine tuned with that. Also was doing some carving awhile back and was happy with my process, but did not always have large wood stock to work with. So bolted some extremities onto a larger section and discovered after plugging the holes they looks just fine. Thanks

SeMoTony and Shanen Mannies like this.
  5. Shanen Mannies

Shanen Mannies ArboristSite Member

Don't know about world class, but I have gotten a little better and my new 543xp with a carving bar has made a big difference. Every time I try make a grizzly bear, it turns out looking like a pig. Couple more done today and I am happy with them ,not bad for someone with very little talent...lol 20170414_171830.jpg

6. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

Make some out lines on a normal letter size paper and try to get the general shape then go on to do your fine details later. I would bet that some one will come along and tell you they are in love with one of your creations. They look very nice and I am sure that the next few will even have more appeal. When our trees were dying around here about 10 to 15 years ago about every third house had a hand carved bear sitting in the front yard area. A real issue with them is trying to keep them from rotting away. Urathane with some air space under. Thanks

SeMoTony and Shanen Mannies like this.