Opinions on a 262xp purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I found a guy selling a 262xp for $100 he says that it runs like an animal but when he puts it down and it shuts off and then he can't get it to restart. The serial is 5470004 if that helps at all in dating it. I know it's an older model already. Just wondering if this was a common problem with these saws. I didn't physically inspect it yet, was gonna see it tomorrow just saw pictures of it and looks like it's in good shape. Do you think its worth $100 as described. I know some are gonna say inspect the cylinder and do a compression check, but all that aside would it be worth dropping a $100 on it or is it obsolete
c88c16616d59a1e609051ba775015742.jpg

Well at first in his ad he had 150 obo, so I was like hell, I'm gonna hit him low and see what he counters at and after I offer $100 I get a pretty immediate reply of "sure" and I'm like damn I should of hit him at $80 lol

I am going to get it tomorrow.

Don't forget to post some pics [emoji106]
I will be doing that. Looking forward to picking it up.

Anyone know if there were any issues with this model that would cause it to shut down and not restart?

The saw was made 1995 week 47. At that price it hardly is possible to make a bad deal on a 262xp that is reasonably complete.

There are 60cc saws with better AV and about the same performance out there today, but it still is the iconic 60cc saw.

The saw isn't old enough to likely have any of the somewhat iconic parts though, like the non decomp KS cylinder, or the HDA-87 carb, it is likely to have the more common decomp MAHLE, and HDA-120. This is how most of them are though.

Of course parts may have been swapped, and MAHLE, KS and Gilardoni all made OEM cylinders for that model.

No it definitely has a decompression on it. I just didn't post the clutch side as the ad was pulled because he didn't want to keep getting calls on the saw. He did send me the picture of the tag for me below.
acbeb530c29b52275cd21c2be3ad0892.jpg

Brake handle is in an odd position, maybe a faller or a broken spring.

It gets even better, the seller is traveling my way for his daughter and bringing the saw along. Not to long before I have pictures up.........

Brake handle is in an odd position, maybe a faller or a broken spring.
It looks in line with the handle, but I did think it looked oder when first viewed. The other picture I had and it is all intact. I will let you know when I get it.

Latest posts

Back