Opinions on a 262xp purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I'm gonna order a Meteor, clean the cylinder some more while I wait for the piston.
BTW anyone have one laying around they want to sell before I go looking?

Would you guys replace the base gasket or delete it on this saw.

Brake handle is in an odd position, maybe a faller or a broken spring.
Just cleaned the clutch brake/cover and immediately saw that the brake band is broken. So now I need to get that part also # 503 51 21-01
Anyone have one in the parts boxes ?

Well so far I'm into it in parts $70.78
Piston,
gasket set,
brake band and
bracket that holds the intake boot (cracked right apart on me).
And that's with the shipping

Also the Piston came with the bearing included (hlsupply)
what's the concensus on using the bearing that there sending with the piston or just stick with the origonal husky one?

I'd use the original bearing.

Almost looks like some chemical reaction occurred between the piston and the pitting in that area of the jug. Like something caustic was between the prison and jug and it sat that way for many years.

Sand those pits smootH, no rings pass that area.

That air box insulator breaks all the time. That's that piece around the intake block.

Make sure you vac test it before you finish assembly. Use blue loctite on the jug to case bolts.

Almost looks like some chemical reaction occurred between the piston and the pitting in that area of the jug. Like something caustic was between the prison and jug and it sat that way for many years.

That air box insulator breaks all the time. That's that piece around the intake block.

Make sure you vac test it before you finish assembly. Use blue loctite on the jug to case bolts.
Funny you say that, I was kind of thinking the same thing. The muffler was a little rusty the chain guard in the clutch cover the same and it kind of looked like maybe this saw sat in a wet shed maybe. Is is possible that was the beginning of corrosion on there? I'd figure it wouldn't with the oil in the engine

Funny you say that, I was kind of thinking the same thing. The muffler was a little rusty the chain guard in the clutch cover the same and it kind of looked like maybe this saw sat in a wet shed maybe. Is is possible that was the beginning of corrosion on there? I'd figure it wouldn't with the oil in the engine
Just rebuilt one. Made a base gasket from coke can, sealed with Motoseal and opened up the muffler. Saw started with 120psi, replaced ring and mods, now has 190 psi with no run time. Do a vacuum test and let it rip. Nice find.

When you say " rings don't pass that area"

Don't the rings totally pass over both area below and above the exhaust port? Obviously above, I just didn't check how far below (I would but have the piston off already)

Anyone have a service manual for the 262 that covers my serial #. Trying to get all the tourque setting for the screws and such
The one I found online doesn't have that info.

Anyone have a service manual for the 262 that covers my serial #. Trying to get all the tourque setting for the screws and such
The one I found online doesn't have that info.
Do they make one?

Latest posts

Back