Opinions on a 262xp purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The -144 is the same size as the -120, not as the -87.
Ok there's my answer, thanks ST.
Can the -87 be installed and improve this saws performance? The saw is stock otherwise. Can is hollow and I never modified the port on it

The handle spring supposed to do that. Mine is working just may increase the lift angle on that spring so it holds it better.
2a5fedc36fd8f20a0b4bfaca64075971.jpg

I don't believe that is the device that holds the brake forward. The spring that does that is located up inside the handle and much more "substantial".

Can the -87 be installed and improve this saws performance? The saw is stock otherwise. Can is hollow and I never modified the port on it

It can be installed, but I wouldn't expect much change from that mod alone. I am not an expert though, just going by what I have "heard" trough the years. The larger carb should matter more with a properly ported cylinder, the muffler already is quite "open" (if it is an original 262 one).

It can be installed, but I wouldn't expect much change from that mod alone. I am not an expert though, just going by what I have "heard" trough the years. The larger carb should matter more with a properly ported cylinder, the muffler already is quite "open" (if it is an original 262 one).
Yes it is the origonal muffler and is like you said, that's why I didn't bother opening it anymore.

I don't believe that is the device that holds the brake forward. The spring that does that is located up inside the handle and much more "substantial".
Right, there two Springs, one the actual brake band spring (very substantial) and the other one I pictured is the handle spring. It just keeps the handle up and forward when off brake. All it does is basically to firm up the slop in the handle and gives it that little bounce when you "flip, flick) it.

Yes it is the origonal muffler and is like you said, that's why I didn't bother opening it anymore.
You might be surprised. I did this.
74525d109af6122806b40759ed5209bc.jpg
1a91724838a9c3fc18d8a0c1a9ee5c4f.jpg

87's are tough to find and you won't notice a difference on a stock saw like Saw Troll said. I am however going to test an 87 vs 120 on a ported 262 this weekend at my gtg. I'm wondering if it matters even then... We shall see.
They are a fine running saw even stock.
You did well!

You might be surprised. I did this.
74525d109af6122806b40759ed5209bc.jpg
1a91724838a9c3fc18d8a0c1a9ee5c4f.jpg

87's are tough to find and you won't notice a difference on a stock saw like Saw Troll said. I am however going to test an 87 vs 120 on a ported 262 this weekend at my gtg. I'm wondering if it matters even then... We shall see.
They are a fine running saw even stock.
You did well!
Man that's opening it up for sure. How loud is it now?

Because you got this saw for so little, I personally would buy an AM cylinder and a Meteor piston and have it ported. Put the OEM Cylinder on the shelf. You'd be in it for less than 5 hundo and have a screaming 262.

Because you got this saw for so little, I personally would buy an AM cylinder and a Meteor piston and have it ported. Put the OEM Cylinder on the shelf. You'd be in it for less than 5 hundo and have a screaming 262.
I hear ya, I cleaned up the stock cylinder and bought a Meteor piston. I'm gonna keep it stock though. It is a nice runner as it is. I'm in at a little shy of $200 as it stands

HdA 87 is supposed to give it a tad better throttle respond, if you do muffler modd you will probleby feel the difference from 144 vs 87 more.

I hear ya, I cleaned up the stock cylinder and bought a Meteor piston. I'm gonna keep it stock though. It is a nice runner as it is. I'm in at a little shy of $200 as it stands
no reason to put one AM jug on your 262 when you have one working OEM jug, that is to go backward.

Latest posts

Back