Opinions on Fireplace Insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howard270

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I will be putting a wood-burning fireplace insert into the masonry fireplace in the house we just purchased. House is 2400 sf and very well insulated. I am really liking the Lennox Canyon C310. Was also interested in the Osburne 2400 but it is too tall. Also looked at Pacific Energy, but they were too tall as well. I had a Quadrafire 3100 at my last house (1300sf) and it did well but this house is twice the size. Maybe the Quadrafire 5100, but it is about a $1000 higher.

Fireplace dimensions are: H=22.75, W=35.5, D=25 all in inches.

Going to put a liner in the old chimney for easier cleaning.

Please advise. Any good or bad things about Lennox. It is by far the heaviest insert and has a 3.2 cubic foot firebox, which is the biggest of those I have looked at.

View attachment 201056I put in a Hampton HI300 and love it. It is very well built with 4 reburn tubes and glass air wash. Maybe too small for you, it only heats my 2300 sq ft house adequately at 30 degree outside temps with hedge. 0 degrees and the gas furnace runs a bunch. The down fall is no ash pan. I had the chimney lined with a flexible stainless liner with the ceramic insulation wrap. I don't get smoke in the house unless I do something stupid. I do suggest closing the area around the smoke shelf to the flexible liner with a piece of sheet metal. My installer didn't want to take the time to do that and I'm sure I loose a lot of heat up the stack.

Last edited:
I will be putting a wood-burning fireplace insert into the masonry fireplace in the house we just purchased. House is 2400 sf and very well insulated. I am really liking the Lennox Canyon C310. Was also interested in the Osburne 2400 but it is too tall. Also looked at Pacific Energy, but they were too tall as well. I had a Quadrafire 3100 at my last house (1300sf) and it did well but this house is twice the size. Maybe the Quadrafire 5100, but it is about a $1000 higher.

Fireplace dimensions are: H=22.75, W=35.5, D=25 all in inches.

Going to put a liner in the old chimney for easier cleaning.

Please advise. Any good or bad things about Lennox. It is by far the heaviest insert and has a 3.2 cubic foot firebox, which is the biggest of those I have looked at.

Based on your measurement the Osburn 2400 should fit. see below from the manual:

201057d1317413982-2400-png

The Canyon is 3.1 cu ft whereas the Osburn is 3.2 not a big difference. Those 2 are about the biggest ones on the market. Unless I'm mistaken, once you kit your Canyon the retail is about $3,500 correct? The Osburn retails at $2,249 kitted black (Osburn 2400 Wood Stove Insert | WoodlandDirect.com: Wood Stoves and Accessories, Wood Stoves & Inserts)

I think there are some users on this board that have used the 2400 and may be able to provide a review. There is one on the link above. I myself have the Osburn 1800.

Osburn will have a better warranty. Limited lifetime on glass and burn tubes. The only company that I know of that will replace the glass no questions asked. Others warranty the glass for 'thermal shock' only.

Both are good inserts and good companies. You no doubt will be happy with either.

I just remeasured the opening again and was incorrect on the height. My opening is 22 and 5/8. I really do like the 240O and was following Number 37 on his purchase and install. Cause the warranty on the 240O is as you say Fryebug. Thanks for the links. I have checked each of those out.

View attachment 201056I put in a Hampton HI300 and love it. It is very well built with 4 reburn tubes and glass air wash. Maybe too small for you, it only heats my 2300 sq ft house adequately at 30 degree outside temps with hedge. 0 degrees and the gas furnace runs a bunch. The down fall is no ash pan. I had the chimney lined with a flexible stainless liner with the ceramic insulation wrap. I don't get smoke in the house unless I do something stupid. I do suggest closing the area around the smoke shelf to the flexible liner with a piece of sheet metal. My installer didn't want to take the time to do that and I'm sure I loose a lot of heat up the stack.

Thanks for the recommendation on the sheet metal around the liner. I finally got the flue damper open. It was rusted shut. It has a 7 inch opening so a 6 inch liner will fit, but I can see a lot of my heat escaping upwards.

I have a Lennox Canyon 310 and will soon start my third heating season with it. I like the looks and the quality construction, it took the two guys from the dealer and me to get it in the fireplace! Seems to burn efficiently and I have had no problems with it.

Thanks for the recommendation on the sheet metal around the liner. I finally got the flue damper open. It was rusted shut. It has a 7 inch opening so a 6 inch liner will fit, but I can see a lot of my heat escaping upwards.

When you add a liner is must be an insulated liner if you can not provide for 1" clearance...UL1777
I know Duravent makes an insulated liner that should hit if the flue is not corbel-ed.
DuraVent : Old Browser Notification
There are other manufactures to look at too...it's just that we can give you 30% off of the liner.

Back