Opinions on fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know most folks don't keep track of their mileage but i do. it varies with each tank from 4 to 5 miles per gallon. i think it depends on the percentage of ethanol. used to be if i used premium i got better mileage because the knock detector adjusted the ignition timing for higher octane. now the mileage is the same or worse. ... .

I am one of those that check my mileage every time I fill up. The only time I have any variance of the magnitude you described is highway vs local. That said I usually average high 13 to 14 mpg per local fill up using no name 93 non E. You can subtract 1 mpg when I run high test E gas. 92 and above is the manufacturer's recommendation for my engine. I also try to use the same station.

Ron

I am one of those that check my mileage every time I fill up. The only time I have any variance of the magnitude you described is highway vs local. That said I usually average high 13 to 14 mpg per local fill up using no name 93 non E. You can subtract 1 mpg when I run high test E gas. 92 and above is the manufacturer's recommendation for my engine. I also try to use the same station.

Ron
Sounds like a fun car!

Ron
What ever it is it sounds fast, I'm just going off the fact that my GTO is only supposed to have premium 93 in it as well, but I average 23 to 25 everywhere unless I'm being rowdy haha

I know most folks don't keep track of their mileage but i do. it varies with each tank from 4 to 5 miles per gallon.
I've kept track of mine every tank for years, and the only time I get a tank to tank variation that large is if I go on an extended highway trip. Other than that winter mileage stinks partly because of the extra electrical load and the greater warm up time, but mostly because of winter blend fuel.

Sorry to disappoint, it is a pickup ... with 405 hp on tap. Speed limited to 100 mph. Real strong until 98 and then the spigot is shut off. I don't normally drive fast but learned the above during a 35 mile emergency run in the middle of the night. Ron

PS. I believe it and the goat have almost identical engines.

I've kept track of mine every tank for years, and the only time I get a tank to tank variation that large is if I go on an extended highway trip. Other than that winter mileage stinks partly because of the extra electrical load and the greater warm up time, but mostly because of winter blend fuel.

My 93 Land Cruiser would drop from 12 mpg to 11 mph in the winter. I miss the old beast terribly though not as comfortable as the truck and way slower.

Ron

Winter blend fuel is lighter so it ignites reliably, but requires more of to make the same power as summer blend thusly the drop in mpg

Winter blend fuel is lighter so it ignites reliably, but requires more of to make the same power as summer blend thusly the drop in mpg

That is because there are more lighter hydrocarbons like butane and propane in winter blend, and they have less energy per unit volume than the heavier summer blend hydrocarbons. Heavier summer gas helps prevent vapor lock and is less apt to vaporize in the tank. As said, winter gas starts easier. Not much difference in my experience between winter and summer blended gas in terms of gas mileage or power though. The 4% drop in power and mileage was very noticeable when they mandated 10% ethanol added to gas in this state though.

Used to be here that they also added oxegenates only to winter blended gas and to gas in smoggy urban areas in the west, which was typically 4% ethanol, or in CA, MTBE. Then the difference between summer and winter blend gas was more noticeable. Adding 4% ethanol as an oxygenate resulted in a 1.6% drop in power and gas mileage. IMO, that is the most ethanol that any gas should have (as an oxygenate).

Sorry to disappoint, it is a pickup ... with 405 hp on tap. Speed limited to 100 mph. Real strong until 98 and then the spigot is shut off. I don't normally drive fast but learned the above during a 35 mile emergency run in the middle of the night. Ron

PS. I believe it and the goat have almost identical engines.
Experience tells me it's probably an 05\ 06 chevy 1500 ss, and you would be correct, same engine, I have weight on my side but you have AWD, and in case your wondering, my speed limiter is when I run out of road haha

Experience tells me it's probably an 05\ 06 chevy 1500 ss, and you would be correct, same engine, I have weight on my side but you have AWD, and in case your wondering, my speed limiter is when I run out of road haha
Sorry for getting off topic I'm a car guy as well, that being said, so far we've learned that every form and blend of any combustible fuel sucks for one reason or another, none outshining the others by a large margin....... there that oughta do it

I ain't nevah seen a truck which needed premium gas! Go figure.

IMG_1786.JPG

2013 GMC. I never intended to buy a hot rod truck. I wanted a truck that would pull a trailer and serve as my daily driver. I was advised by a friend that pulls a large regular hitch RV trailer that GM had dropped rear disks as standard and though the trucks pulled well they didn't stop very well. My daily use pretty much ruled out a 3/4 ton. So I took to the web and located the ideal truck for me - nice interior for day job without all the fancy options and a trailer package for woodcutting. It didn't hurt my feelings that the package included a 6.2.

IMG_1788.JPG

It works just fine for this:

IMG_0945-001.JPG

Ron

View attachment 521561

2013 GMC. I never intended to buy a hot rod truck. I wanted a truck that would pull a trailer and serve as my daily driver. I was advised by a friend that pulls a large regular hitch RV trailer that GM had dropped rear disks as standard and though the trucks pulled well they didn't stop very well. My daily use pretty much ruled out a 3/4 ton. So I took to the web and located the ideal truck for me - nice interior for day job without all the fancy options and a trailer package for woodcutting. It didn't hurt my feelings that the package included a 6.2.

View attachment 521572

It works just fine for this:

View attachment 521577

Ron
I can see the back end of that truck and she sure is squatting haha, the new 3/4 tons ride like my old 1/2 ton does for sure, and actually I'm sporting an ls2 6.0l if your truck had an aluminum block it would be considered an ls9, that is some good looking wood tho haha never thought I'd hear those words coming from my mouth did one of your sp125's make short work of that tree?

The g8 had a 3.6l the g8 gt had a 6.0l as well, the 6.2 came along in the Camaro later on in 2010 I believe, it won't be long until it's firewood season here in illinois and I'm itching to cut some big wood with my newest toy, a pro mac 1000, I love it

Edit: the Camaro started with a 6.2l option in 2009 and the g8 gt was detuned a little bit to about 355 from the horsepower output that my car came out with, which is factory 400hp/ 400ft lbs torque

So the goat sports a 6.0, was it the Pontiac G8 GXP that had the 6.2?

IIRC, no MACs involved this time, just a little WWS MS 361.

View attachment 521581

View attachment 521582

Though it isn't PC on AS to do such things, I have bucked more than a few red oaks of this size with a 60cc saw.

Ron
60cc will handle it just gotta make sure the chain is super sharp and you stay on top of the cut, not force it thru the log

2009 G8 GXP had 415 hp 6.2 ls3 per Car and Driver. Not sure the model number for mine but I believe it is related to this.

I know this is a derail but its more fun than arguing about lead.

Ron
Yeah the GXP submodel had a 6.2l in it but only in 2009, yours is a very similar configuration as far as design and diaplacement but they are night and day different from the corvettes as far as how they are built and tuned and yes much better than all the hostility amongst members haha

Back