Opinions on limbing saw ms 261, husky 346xp or ported 350 husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbert Farms

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for some opinions what I should keep for my limbing saw. I need to get rid of some saws and wondered what everyone would keep from my 3 choices. Ms 261, 346xp, or a ported 350 with muffler mod. We don't cut wood all year round, it's a winter time extra money around the farm thing. We cut 50,000 to 75,000 ft a year. A lot of pine and hemlock. We may be focused on a hardwood this winter from the way my father is talking. Price is good now. Anyways all opinions welcome thanks for the insight and all the other threads on the site.

346 for limbing

my mastermind 261c is an amazing saw though, I much prefer it to the 346/353/550 but I dont do a lot of limbing with it

From what I hear the 261 is a bit piggish for a nimble limbing saw and more suited as a bucking/firewood saw. A 346xp is your best bet but a ported 350 is also a good option and will be nipping at the heels of the 346. I love mine, but be sure to get all the bugs with them worked out...intake clamp, crankcase seals, muffler bolts. See my thread "Blown 350...now what?" for info on that.

My vote is 346xp.

...a ported 350 is also a good option and will be nipping at the heels of the 346...

A well done 350 will eat a stock 346's lunch money, give it a swirly, and kick it to the curb like last weeks girlfriend. Now, with both ported, the results will reverse.

Thanks for all the replies and insight. I will probably use them all and see what I like best. I just picked up the 346xp and the ms 261. The ms 261 had a bad piston so I got it for cheap money $30 and rebuilt it. It seems like a good running saw but haven't got to really "work" it yet in the woods. The 346 seems pretty smart stock but it's a got a greens gas cap so I am assuming its an EPA model. Plan on at least getting the muffler opened up and maybe porting it!?!? What are your guys opinions on porting a saw that you use a lot longevity wise?

Out of your sig:

Husqvarna
61 18": Sell It
262 xp 18": Port It
350 18" (x3) Sell Em
480cd Sell It. Use the money from it or the 350s to buy the 390xp in the classifieds
346xp Port It
Stihl
Ms 261 18" Sell it (you already have the best 50cc saw made in the 346)
Ms 362 25" Sell It (you already have the best 60cc saw in the 262xp)

Efco/Deere
Cs 62 20" Sell It

Projects:
Mac 1010
Partner 5000 plus Repair It and Port it

Thanks for all the replies and insight. I will probably use them all and see what I like best. I just picked up the 346xp and the ms 261. The ms 261 had a bad piston so I got it for cheap money $30 and rebuilt it. It seems like a good running saw but haven't got to really "work" it yet in the woods. The 346 seems pretty smart stock but it's a got a greens gas cap so I am assuming its an EPA model. Plan on at least getting the muffler opened up and maybe porting it!?!? What are your guys opinions on porting a saw that you use a lot longevity wise?
If you get your 346 ported, it WILL BE your number ONE saw!

Back