Opinions on the Stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Looking at a used 064. Dad and I have always run Stihl saws, and they've done well for us. We've run the 024, 028, 036, and 041, but I don't know anyone who's ran the 064. Can anyone give me the pro's and cons of this saw? I'm interested in it as the upper end saw of a 3 saw set. I currently have the 024 and 036. I'd like to swap the 024 for an 026, but that's another story. How reliable was/is the 064, how big of a bar can it handle?

Thanks,
Mark

id say 32" bar easy.

i dont have one but its on my list of saws i have to have someday and lately that list is getn shorter.

saws i have to have are 026 440 066 and now the 064. i have all but the 064 right now

I had one once and now I wish I had it back. Put a big bore kit on it and be at almost 100cc and about a 15 lb powerhead.

I've got an 066 and a 064. I've had both of them down to pieces and can say that there basic construction, case, crank, cylinder, clutch, tank are almost the same.

For your BIG saw I'd say that it would fill the gap nicely. I usually run a 28inch bar full comp chain with it and in big stuff it will pull a 36 incher in wet Red Oak without worry.

Only concern I would have is with the output of the oiler as it is different than an 066 that has an upgraded oil piston pump to up it's output for longer bars.

It's a good saw.

Jon

The older 064's withe the smaller air filter and metal cover were the lightest high power saw you could get.

After getting my 064 I got rid of the 044.Then put an 066 big bore kit on it and swapped the carb from an 660. I'm extremely happy.

Haven't touched my 660 or 066 since.

Very powerful, light for it's displacement and it handles good.

Parts aren't a problem because a lot of 066/660 parts will fit.

So, can anyone give me an idea of what a good price would be for one that has been pieced together by a reputable shop? I have a local shop that has done good work for me, and has sold me some good stuff. He put an 064 together with a good 24" bar and new chain. One of the earlier replies mentioned $200 to $300, but that sounds pretty cheap for a reliable 80+cc saw.

Thanks again,
Mark

we have four 064 stihls left in the outfit i fight fire for....they are awesome....make a mean deep low grumble sound when they fire up....light weight and very very powerful and not much heavier than a 046 and alot less problems then the 046's we bought six 046's in 2004 and have 4 left....and the 064's are from late 80's or early early 90's and still the majority of them....but firefighting is NOT easy on saws...i would say an 064 gets an A+

this thread really makes me want to get my hands on an 064 that i bought 2 months ago. i had my nephew pick it up. he lives in the Atl. and i told him to hold it until i could get to the other part of GA. looks like i may head that way the first weekend of Aug to see a Braves game..........this thread makes me itchy for a road trip!!!!!

Latest posts

Back