Opps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've worked for Asplundh and they don't call anyone for anything they do all the work themselves and there isn't a tree too big for them.

So your saying 24/7 they have everything on hand everywhere they work to handle any situation. we lifted a tree for them with a crane at night? where else are you gonna rent a crane at 11pm.

No, no, silly boy.. even the largest tree company in the world, still needs some "extra special" help, once in a while!!

Asplundh probably can't afford "Big Matt's" kind of equipment, on their own!! :p

Its not that they can't afford its the insurance. ever wonder why companies like davey and bartlett down own cranes? got millions of $$ right? its the insurance for all the employees using the cranes. it far exceeds the cost of buying one. training programs and so on. 200k crane turns into a 10million dollar project.

So your saying 24/7 they have everything on hand everywhere they work to handle any situation. we lifted a tree for them with a crane at night? where else are you gonna rent a crane at 11pm.

Our local volunteer fire department had a feed and seed store catch fire at like 2am. Rented a dozer and crane, at 2am. No tree service, just a fee service. Haha

Jeff

Last edited:

No im saying Asplundh don't need a crane they sit by downed trees and wires and get paid until the power is off then go to work. And yes they have everything they need 24/7 365.

Last edited:
I live under some big trans wires, always a power company truck around. I have seen guys spike a pole and set covers. They just keep adding more pushing them down the line.

good to know, I've never watched them do it

No im saying Asplundh don't need a crane they sit by downed trees and wires and get paid until the power is off then go to work. And yes they have everything they need 24/7 365.

once again it was smashed into a residential trailer doesn't matter if the power was off. there was no just chainsawing it out. and they had no crane.

its rare tho dude low pay doesn't keep good climbers. bartlett and davey's good guys go off to higher paying jobs no one is gonna stick around that is any good for less than 30$ an hour. all the guys i started working with at bartlett are off with other companies now also. why make 150$ a day when they can do 400. there are trees everywhere that can exceed the mechanical advantage someone has. asphlund just doesn't have 1000's of cranes along with there buckets sitting around the country. they have to outsource it.

dont quote me but the helicopter cutting is outsourced i do believe. if those are the best guys you have ever seen i would hate to be standing under a tree your in. the 10 foot back hackers have people trying to chase them out of town around here with all the tree mutilation and damage they cause. and these trees are some pretty weak sauce stuff. would love to see how they handle the big ones.

Last edited:

if they will do it for you it can be real handy. around here forget about it I've waited months and still no sleeves. i had to become friends with the guy took years now i can get sleeves put on in about a week i guess it helps that i went to high school with him.

called them tons on getting trees cut back for removal. never have been able to get that done to this day. kind of how we got into messing around with the power stuff. had to figure it out on my own if i wanted to get paid for the trees near the juice.

Last edited:
once again it was smashed into a residential trailer doesn't matter if the power was off. there was no just chainsawing it out. and they had no crane.

Actually it does matter if the power is off because you aren't touching a tree on top of live powerlines with a crane and if the line was inside the trailer there would be a fire.

if they will do it for you it can be real handy. around here forget about it I've waited months and still no sleeves. i had to become friends with the guy took years now i can get sleeves put on in about a week i guess it helps that i went to high school with him.

called them tons on getting trees cut back for removal. never have been able to get that done to this day. kind of how we got into messing around with the power stuff. had to figure it out on my own if i wanted to get paid for the trees near the juice.

this job I got lined up - this poor lady has been trying to have this done for over a year.. only way to get to the tree is through the neighbors driveway and he wants no part of it..she knows the city forestry guy and cei director by name, think it was speed dialed on her phone..

Point is that the custy was on this for a long time now and cei is MORE then willing to shut the power off to that block to get this tree down and shut her the f@@k up.. Lucky us, got 3 g's on an easy removal..

Actually it does matter if the power is off because you aren't touching a tree on top of live powerlines with a crane and if the line was inside the trailer there would be a fire.

your missing the point even if there wasn't a power line involved they still where not getting the tree out endless they cut the trailer down around it.

please don't state the obvious about the power line. if you can't tell that electricity can cause a fire you should get reserved parking up front at chucke cheese.

this job I got lined up - this poor lady has been trying to have this done for over a year.. only way to get to the tree is through the neighbors driveway and he wants no part of it..she knows the city forestry guy and cei director by name, think it was speed dialed on her phone..

Point is that the custy was on this for a long time now and cei is MORE then willing to shut the power off to that block to get this tree down and shut her the f@@k up.. Lucky us, got 3 g's on an easy removal..

Thats awesome anytime i ever brought the idea of turning the juice off they didn't even wanna hear it. would be nice I've put on some nice arc shows before. wish i had my helmet cam on last week was cracking out blue flames almost pretty. amazing something so neat is insta death. get one little limb to push two wires together and it sounds like a cannon went off.

your missing the point even if there wasn't a power line involved they still where not getting the tree out endless they cut the trailer down around it.

please don't state the obvious about the power line. if you can't tell that electricity can cause i fire you should get reserved parking up front at chucke cheese.

Well this thread has gotten so derailed might as well take it further.Saw a vid of that k-boom of yours. You claim it can make 10k picks, looks like the thing only has two outriggers?

Holden i wondered when you would bring your stink glad you could make it.

yes it does, i just added a third up front. but before we go to far it depends on where we are talking about 10k. max capacity is more than 10k. and by only having two outriggers doesn't mean much they have made k-boom configurations with only two that do over 50k. called the x platform.

the truck is part of the stabilization a lot different from a crane. there is no knuckle boom that is supposed to have the tires off the ground unlike a crane. i had to do the front out rigger due to maxing my suspension out when picking over the cab. didn't wanna bust anything.

the one you saw in the video can do 10k trunk picks but if your talking 70 feet then no. their are a lot of booms that can exceed 10k picks at a decent height tho such as mike poors around 100 feet. it all depends where your talking 10k of tree is a lot of tree and i usually don't need or want that much tree for processing reasons. right beside the truck at 30 feet or at max extension what are we talking?

had to dig up all the load charts for a guy in another thread on here because he didn't believe their was a k-boom that could do 14k at 100 foot.

in the video i did for AA i think it was 6k with a close to 1k grapple on the end of it at 45 feet. with the boom less than 20 foot off the ground.

Last edited:

please don't state the obvious about the power line. if you can't tell that electricity can cause a fire you should get reserved parking up front at chucke cheese.

Make up your mind in post #94 you said the tree you lifted was on a wire that was live, now there wasn't a wire involved and a little FYI if a wire isn't involved neither is Asplundh. Dh1984 is that you??......and stuff.

Make up your mind in post #94 you said the tree you lifted was on a wire that was live, now there wasn't a wire involved and a little FYI if a wire isn't involved neither is Asplundh. Dh1984 is that you??......and stuff.

Your kidding right it's what's called a hypothetical situation if your not kidding I can't help you it's a lost cause just move on. Asphlund is there with out wires also they do residential in some states. Also pesticide/herbicide applications.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ozaawq

Last edited:
Yessir doesn't take them long. Around here it actually is tough to get done. Kinda how I traveled down this line.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pu2a5s

Yes, sadly its a little tough for us guys to get ahold of the right number and get it done. That's why I suggested one tell the homeowner ( a paying customer to the power co.) to make the call and demand the service.

I think as service proffesionals we deserve covered wires. I gave up trying to " sneak" through those jobs.

Yes, sadly its a little tough for us guys to get ahold of the right number and get it done. That's why I suggested one tell the homeowner ( a paying customer to the power co.) to make the call and demand the service.

I think as service proffesionals we deserve covered wires. I gave up trying to " sneak" through those jobs.

Yes it's there Job to do it for you. In a situation of safety they should have to do it. But sadly they are just to lazy sometimes. I was never able to get it done until a close friend and neighbor got a job at west penn power.

Latest posts

Back