ArboristSite.com Sponsors

"Optimal" bar size for smaller saw?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by zuren, Oct 24, 2007.

1. zuren

zuren ArboristSite Lurker

I have another thread going about a free Poulan saw I was given with an oiler issue. I'm waiting on some parts before I can move forward. The bar and chain are pretty worn due to the oiler issue, so provided the repair works, I'll be buying a new bar and chain.

This saw has a 16" bar when I see most new saws in the 30-35cc category have 14" bars. If I do end up buying a new bar/chain combo, am I better to stay with the 16" or would a small CC saw perform better overall with a 14"?

I'm thinking a 14" bar and chain will have less drag and bite for the 32CC engine to cut through, so more power will be focused on cutting. Or am I splitting hairs and 2" doesn't make a difference either way?

Thanks! :cheers:

2. Cut4fun

Cut4fun Faster is Better

I like my stock poulans in the 30cc-33cc range to wear 10"-12" b+c's. My 36cc-38cc ones ran 12"-16", 12"-14" was best. I wouldn't go bigger then 14"

Poulan is known to put to big of bars on their homeowner saws. Us homeowners always think more has got to be better.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  3. computeruser

computeruser Addicted to ArboristSite

+1 on the 10-12" idea. In selecting a bar, aim for a 3:1 cc:inches ratio, and you'll be about as happy as you can reasonably expect to be with that saw.

4. joecool85

joecool85 Addicted to ArboristSite

I'd run a 14" personally. 16" is far more than that saw can push. If you ever got anywhere near full bar it would stall out the clutches.

5. zuren

zuren ArboristSite Lurker

Thanks, you guys are confirming what I was already thinking about going to a smaller bar. Plus the shorter bar/chain is cheaper! :clap:

I'm waiting for parts to continue the teardown and rebuild, so hopefully everything works out and I'll have it running by next weekend (parts order was shipped later than I hoped)!

6. bcorradi

bcorradi Arboristsite.com Sponsor

That seems pretty accurate for hardwoods. However the PNW's softwood ratio might be closer to 2:1 cc:inches. Another calculation they use is > 30cc's = full wrap. Mr. Troll's ratio is probably closer to 4:1. ;)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007