Oregon 18" Bar length differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k7iou1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Update: from lodderchain.com where I purchased the new bar and chains.
"The 18" specs have always been 72 drive links for a 18" bar. Oregon has made some weird sizes and Husqvarna has ordered weird bar lengths or it could be your old bar is a 20" bar, it would have 78 drive links instead. Thanks"

Since my old bar was "75" links I can only "assume" it was a weird size Husqvarna ordered. Oddly, the old bar is a more true 18" bar installed on the Husky and the new 72 link bar measures 16-17" installed from the front of the saw case dependent on adjustment. If I had known this I would have ordered the 20" bar!
Lesson learned!

Hello, years ago I purchased a Husky 51 with a 18" Oregon Power Match bar. .325, .050, 75D
So I just received a new replacement spec'd by Oregon as a direct replacement.
Oregon Pro-Lite 18" bar .325, .050, 72 with 20LP, 72, 325 chain.

I realize the old chain was 75 links and new is 72 links, which indicates a shorter bar but.....

Why is the new bar 1-1/4" shorter than the old bar?

Attachments

• IMG_2404.JPG
    IMG_2404.JPG
    844.7 KB · Views: 24
Thats like my inlaws echo with a 24 inch bar but only measures around 22 past front of saw.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Are the bar and chain manufacturers cutting the length of the bars to save money, similar like buying a half gallon of ice cream?

Great question.

Bar length is 'nominal' (e.g. 18" means about 18" from the front of the saw to the tip of the bar). But you would think that it would be consistent from the same manufacturer, right?

Not sure if it had to do with the replaceable sprocket nose (RSN), new standards, etc. Joining this thread to see if anybody knows.

Welcome to A.S.!

Philbert

Re: Update

I thought about the '18" / 20"' thing, but the old bar was marked "18".

Thought about the '.325 / 3/8' thing, but could not make a good case there either.

Did you buy the saw used? Since it came with an Oregon PowerMatch bar, instead of a Husqvarna branded bar, it suggests that it may have been 'repurposed' ?

Anyway, going forward, you know what to look for!

Philbert

Re: Update

I thought about the '18" / 20"' thing, but the old bar was marked "18".

Thought about the '.325 / 3/8' thing, but could not make a good case there either.

Did you buy the saw used? Since it came with an Oregon PowerMatch bar, instead of a Husqvarna branded bar, it suggests that it may have been 'repurposed' ?

Anyway, going forward, you know what to look for!

Philbert
Bought it new, but if 18" is 72 links and 78 links is 20" then my old 75 link bar must actually be a 19" bar. My brother suggests when my father and I purchased the saw he or I wanted one with a replaceable sprocket nose. If he's right that would explain it. I don't recall as I've slept many times since then!

Got it tuned up and running. If I did it over again I would have went 20" 3/8" and changed the clutch bearing & drive sprocket.
Cuts great and I like the chain selection.IMG_2435.JPG

Back