Oregon chain confusion: LPX vs LGX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So....I'm looking on Oregon's site trying to decide which chain to buy. (3/8 non-safety.) They have 72LPX and 72LGX, and darned if I can tell any difference between them based on the company's descriptions!

In fact, there is but a single line item that is different: for the LGX, they state "Clean ground gullets, increase chip flow and evacuation". I assume that the LPX doesn't have those, because they don't mention it.

I cut firewood and keep my woodlot trimmed. The closest thing I come to dirty wood is something that's been on the ground for a couple of months, which I brush off before cutting. Other than that, my wood is clean.

Would I see any difference in performance between these two? If the answer is "yes", exactly what would I see?

-=[ Grant ]=-

i think the lpx has humps for lower vibration, i would run the lgx, it replaced the lgx when it recived blued cutters. atleast i think it. i haven and lgx on my 026 and that thing hogs through the wood like crazy

LPX has a bumper on the driver to help reduce kickback potential.... the LGX does not. :cheers:

No, but instead it has much larger and ramped rakers (like the Stihl RS/RSC/RM/RMC etc), that are more in the way for bore-cutting than the small ramps on the LP etc.

Both designs are for kick-back reduction, nothing to do with AV.

I have never used LPX, but from LP, LG and LGX I like the LP the best - but no big deal.

No, but instead it has much larger and ramped rakers (like the Stihl RS/RSC/RM/RMC etc), that are more in the way for bore-cutting than the small ramps on the LP etc.

Both designs are for kick-back reduction, nothing to do with AV.

I have never used LPX, but from LP, LG and LGX I like the LP the best - but no big deal.

Yep. :cheers:

LGX
38_72lp_detail.jpg

LPX
38_72lpx_detail.jpg

But I'd much rather bore with the LGX than the bumper stuff... although of the bumper stuff the LPX is probably the least offensive. :cheers:

(In truth I run Stihl chain and prefer the RSLK ;))

Latest posts

Back