Oregon Kinetic Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know any commercial firewood guys that use splitters. Time/labor is money. Equipment is cheap compared to hiring several laborers.

I don't know any commercial firewood guys that use splitters. Time/labor is money. Equipment is cheap compared to hiring several laborers.

I know several, and know several that use hydraulic splitters. Mostly land clearing and tree service companies that process their own wood. I keep trying to get a friend of mine to try a SuperSplit since all he uses right now is cheap Home Depot special splitters. He does land clearing and tree work and sell ~600 cords of wood a year, about half of that is oak. Lot of places have wood that simply won't fit in a processor.

I know several, and know several that use hydraulic splitters. Mostly land clearing and tree service companies that process their own wood. I keep trying to get a friend of mine to try a SuperSplit since all he uses right now is cheap Home Depot special splitters. He does land clearing and tree work and sell ~600 cords of wood a year, about half of that is oak. Lot of places have wood that simply won't fit in a processor.

Yeah, true. We usually leave those trees in the woods. Processor can do about 22"

I'd like to see a kinetic splitter taken to the next level. Larger type trailer, bigger tires, larger table, an adjustable four-way shelf wedge, hydraulic log lift on each side, and a folding conveyor.
Edit: add self powered, a steering wheel, four wheels and a seat.
You forgot the beverage cooler.
It's quit uncanny how similar our trains of thought are on a number of firewood ideas.

OK, so, the usual questions about any new SS-clone entrants:

- price
- can the safety features be eliminated
- warranty
- towable

*edit* - so, towable. But if that double-handed safety crap can't be circumvented it's a real shame.

Nice to see the weight of engine down low.
A pity they had to fall into the same BS marketing trap as others and compare the speed to an underpowered snail version of a real hydraulic splitter. That sort of BS turns, or at least should, many away.

Horses for courses.
Apart from a tree service add-on, there's the guys that don't have the cash and don't want to go into debt to afford and support, a bigger processor.

Your point about the time/labour cost is not the only reason for a processor though. In my case it's a near-pathological fear of anyone in my employ hurting themselves on my watch. I'd rather automate as much as possible and stay a one-man band or at least automate the risky bits and leave the safe jobs for others.

Yeah safety too. I have a bad back so there'd be no way I'd be able to process wood using a chainsaw and splitter. The bending and lifting would cripple me.
I do own a splitter for the stuff that won't pass through the processor. I usually throw all that stuff in the back 40 and when the pile gets big we split it into chucks that will fit in the processor. I have a minion on staff for the heavy lifting. :laugh:

Makes me think of those Timberwolf splitters, darn near the cost of a small processor but only a splitter. Not sure the thought process on that?

Anybody that has experience with these type of splitters comment on how they do with stringy wood like elm/ hackberry?

There's a reason the wedge is only 8 inches tall and you never see a 4 way on this style machine. I know a guy who had one. Twisted maple or big knots gave him fits. 3-4 cycles then roll the stick 180 degrees and try the other half.

They do fine, doesn't slow then down.
Very stringy wood does seem to slow me down on my SS. Old man pine can be both knotty and stringy and it is quite a fight at times. In some stringy species, it makes a difference if splitting up the tree or down the tree. I keep my knife pretty sharp but still with an edge that won't fold over in denser wood, and a sharp knife certainly helps in stringy stuff, but it's still a pain.

There's a reason the wedge is only 8 inches tall and you never see a 4 way on this style machine. I know a guy who had one. Twisted maple or big knots gave him fits. 3-4 cycles then roll the stick 180 degrees and try the other half.

Every see twisted maple or big knots run thru any of the high speed machines..? SuperSplit, TW6, even processors such as Block Buster and Cord King. They are designed for high volume commercial firewood. Have yet to see a bundle of wood for sale full of knot wood. You spec the logs that run fast thru the machines. The logger brings you just that if he wants to sell you more. Leave the junk wood for the weekend warriors.

I leave nothing over 4inch in the woods. There's a home for everything. I do refuse to sell processor only wood. Maybe that's why I haven't been out of work in 30+ years.

3" an up in MN for state lands. You are right, saw logs, pulp wood, firewood logs, tops and chip. It all has a home, just not all of it comes to my home :)

That thing does a number on punky wood.........Dr. Power equipment has had one out for a few years, I think I remember people complaining about a belt always jumping on tough wood, something like that anyway.

Hmmm....

Blount owns Oregon.

Blount bought Speeco in 2010.

Speeco's Speedpro came out in 2011(?) and retreated 2012(?)

Blount filed this patent in 2014, granted 2015:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20150151448.pdf

Speeco's version, with red instead of black plastic...you'll note the guy didn't even change their tee-shirt from filming the Oregon video :D I'm also suspicious of him wearing a Colorado t-shirt and that's where Speeco is based.

What that all tells me is Speeco licked their wounds after their first try and took a lot of time to do some design revisions. It'll be interesting to see how this one performs!

Back