Ornamental Tree problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Edwards

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Had a call to check out a few trees in a landscaped area which were in decline. The first one I'm not sure what it is as I'm not up on ornamentals (most of my work has been on native trees).
I took a few photos of the leaves, the bugs and a full shot of the tree.

I noticed the bark was coming lose but not from the cambium and there were these bugs under the lose bark. The leaves didn't appear to have an infestation of any kind but I did notice a few that were chewed on.

The tree is on a slope of cut ground and even though the lawn looks healthy the subsoil is not very organic. I don't think it's a water issue as we've had a decent summer as far as rain. The tree is setting right at 3000 elevation. The owner said the tree came out in the spring as normal then mid summer the decline started.

I'm stumped on it. Do you think any type of deep feeding would help and if so what would you recommend?

He also wants to deep feed fertilize a few other trees on the property, a few Colorado Blue spruces and a Kousa dogwood. What would you guys recommend as far as fertilizer goes? The trees have been in the ground for about 8years. Some look good and some don't as I'm sure it's a placement issue, some being in better soil than others.

I appreciate any help or advice you can give.

Attachments

• IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Are there nutrients lacking in the soil? Hard to know what to recommend without knowing about the soil.

It is a Hawthorn tree...

I feel sure nutrients are lacking as I said it's on a cut slope so I'd say there is no top soil except for enough for the grass to grow. The guy is serious about saving the tree and I'm the closest thing he will get to a professional in my area.

I mainly focused on pruning and removals with my tree business with pesticide and very basic fertilization. I've since gotten out of pruning and removals and plan on doing this type of work so some education is in store for me.

Is there anything you would recommend to give the tree a shot in the arm?

Attachments

• IMG_0877.PNG
    IMG_0877.PNG
    6.5 MB · Views: 12
Hawthorn as he said.

Regarding the defoliation or tipdiback, did you check for galls on the stem and dead tissue beyond it? Looked like a stem gall in one pic. Could be a nasty case of cedar/quince rust.

Holes in leaves could be where hawthorn leafminer attacked and dead tissue has fallen off. Perhaps a bad year for them there? If not, some other chewing insect.

Do a soil test. Then fertilize according to the results. I like Spectrum Analytic...they are in Ohio, but will test for anywhere. See if the local Extension office can help and if they provide plant specific recommendations.

Thanks for all the help. I'll get some samples and send off to NCSU. I'll post what findings I gather.

Latest posts

Back