Osage Orange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Osage is great. Ive turned a handle out of it for my 6' wood cart - IMG_6579.JPGIMG_6540.JPG

and Im currently in the process of making a hand saw handle out of osage with just the chisel and spokeshave, patterned after a Disston D-23 from the 1940s. It's getting there. IMG_6591.JPG

If you are ever in doubt if a wood is osage.. take some thin shavings or sawdust and soak in warm water... turns strong yellow IMG_0090.JPG. people in the old days used to use it to make yellow dye.

I have read that native americans would trade a full cart and a horse to draw it with for osage bows.

and of course as others have said it is superior firewood.

Good luck and don't let it go to waste.

The osage must be somewhat like our black locust - Super hard, even fresh sawn you can't drive a nail in it. The pile of 6x6 posts & 2x8's I just finished are going in town for stops in front of parking places. locust posts.jpg I have several garbage can holders to do next. I know what you mean about the fine yellow dust, it's everywhere.

I finally got a photo of the Adirondack Chairs and Table I built from some osage orange a friend gave me. They need a little more work and some finish. Ignore the mesh in the background, LOL!

IMG_0134_zpsozgkv35x.jpg

Back