OT - Who knows anything about McCulloch outboard engines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Reaction score
I have come across a McCulloch outboard boat engine that I can pick up. Looks to be about 15 horse, but is not running. Does anyone know anything about them and what one might be worth?

McCullochoutboard1.jpg

McCullochoutboard2.jpg

I have come across a McCulloch outboard boat engine that I can pick up. Looks to be about 15 horse, but is not running. Does anyone know anything about them and what one might be worth?

McCullochoutboard1.jpg

McCullochoutboard2.jpg

Wrong color and where do you put the prop oil? :yoyo:

Interesting didn't know that they existed.

I had a Homelite 4 stroke 4 cycle outboard once. Should have kepted it.

To answer the chainsaw question, yes, they were the same company. McCulloch bought out Scott Atwater outboards in 1957, changing the brand to Scott, followed by Scott-McCulloch, followed by McCulloch by 1964. They closed the doors on the outboard boats & motors division in 1967...

Last edited:
Mac did actually produce a twin-cylinder small outboard engine. I think it was around 100cc. I can't remember if it was two or four stroke. It was an odd looking duck though.

My father had a 7.5 hp bought used in the mid- seventies. I believe it was an early sixties model. Even then I remember he had some difficulty getting parts. They were high dollar when he found them, but that was in days before daily internet use.
He used it as a trolling motor, and I remember changing and/or cleaning the spark plug every few hours, as we carried three. It also used to tear up the impeller in the lower unit regularly so we were constantly monitoring the temperature and would change it out on the water if required. It took him a couple of years to get it running really well but once he did, it ran well for many years.
What is that one worth? who knows.
Why is it not running? Can you find parts?

Those motors are fine if you want to get it running and use it as a novelty item, but I wouldn't want to rely on it to take your troopers fishing. Your arm will be sore from roping it over or rowing by time you get to your fishing hole you won't be able to cast. I have two low hour Tecumseh air cooled "Ted Williams" outboards that I don't think I could give away. They are indeed cool and part of history, but not very practical to use/rely on IMO.

Those motors are fine if you want to get it running and use it as a novelty item, but I wouldn't want to rely on it to take your troopers fishing. Your arm will be sore from roping it over or rowing by time you get to your fishing hole you won't be able to cast. I have two low hour Tecumseh air cooled "Ted Williams" outboards that I don't think I could give away. They are indeed cool and part of history, but not very practical to use/rely on IMO.
Believe it or not. There are people who actually collect vintage outboards and I'm sure there is someone out there who would love to get their hands on one of you Ted Williams. Actually collecting old boat motors is as big of hobby as collecting old chainsaws. I pick them up at auctions every now and then if I get them right and stick them on Ebay for a nice profit. I sold a1921 Caille outboard a month ago on Ebay and it fetched 675 bucks.

The McCulloch and Scott Atwater were not reliable outboards even during their prime.They were very troublesome needing almost constant repair, leaking gaskets, plug fouling, overheating and recoil problems made them less than desirable. We had the 10 and 12 HP models and they were plagued from the outset. Viking, Evenrude,Johnson and Merc built far superior outboards during that time. Living here on the water we have run them all.
An oldie like that would be an intresting collector, don`t depend on it getting you anywhere on the water.

Td 20 Johnson 5 hp it became the TN 26 in 1950 the N was for the added neutral feature my dad bought a TN 27 his first brand new outboard for our fishing resort I still have it it runs has thousands of hours on it.The last TN was the Tn28 of 1953.they were very very dependable and trolled well.One of the best Johnson ever made.
Kash

I have a a 3 cylinder 60 horsepower Flying Scott short shaft outboard motor with controls out in the shop. A good performing outboard from what I hear. I've never had it running but it is on a nice stand. I believe in 1962 this model went to 75 horsepower it was a screamer.

Latest posts

Back