PackFix hydro by Posch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you figure cost per year for three bags at 3,4,5 year usage that give a cost of one cord/year.
If you do it with cost of pallets at 3,4,5 years usage and add $8.00 per cord for netting $2.00 per pallet, (four pallets per cord.)

The difference between the two, pallets and netting being cheaper than bags alone, divided into the cost of equipment and shipping, equals the break even. However, the equipment being paid for at the break even point between the two systems, still has value if sold. The initial outlay is much, much higher of course.

Many factors. Do you use pallets with the bags? If you do, that increases the spread and reduces the break even point. Do three bags stack out to one cord? Or, as I suspect three bags stack short of a cord. What is the life span of a bag, of a pallet? I've put forks through the bottom boards before, and broke boards dropping splits from the conveyor. I suspect pallets will rotate out at three to four years. Just a guess. Very hard to nail down costs of each system, and at best, it is a close guess. Best case for bags: three bags per cord, five years usage, no pallets...1,400 cord break even, zero value of equipment. I think it's closer to 1,000 cord, and the equipment could hold 50% or more value. With equipment value factored, drops the break even to an estimated 700 cord or lower in my fantasy world.
But there is more than cost to factor in. How you work, the space you have, how you deliver, support equipment, reuse and more. Then there is monetary commitment, and things can and do change. (Renting a house verses verse owning a house or condo.)

You have used bags and are familiar with them. I've never used them and have no first hand experience with their pluses and minuses.

Best of luck...both ways work.

Nice, objective costing breakdown, Sandhill. Thanks. Might also be worth pointing out the opportunity cost of the initial outlay. Bags, being cheaper initially (although it's still quite an outlay when having them made to a specific recipe and there are minimum order quantities involved), might leave a little in the kitty for other equipment that might improve system efficiency that could not be afforded otherwise.

Are you guys allowed to sell as 'thrown volumes'? Here, a cubic meter of thrown firewood is a legal measure. Is it just cord and cord equivalents up there?

So much of the firewood gig is a 'horses for courses' thing.

:drinkingcoffee:KiwiBro: Great point. Tried to touch on it with...
Then there is monetary commitment, and things can and do change.

and I know it first hand, as I'm sitting on a TW-6 w/four-way and log lift, and splitting 12" rounds with a Super Split.. Very nice machine but... things can and do change.

Second question:
I sell by the cord. One pallet stacking out to 32 to 35 cu. ft.
I'm an llc
Pay state sales tax
Registered with DOT
Annual vehicle inspection by a certified/DOT registered mechanic
Drug tested
insured
...but I can't tell you what is considered a "legal firewood measurement" as far as loose thrown.
That there is funny:drinkingcoffee:
Maybe I need an attorney...
Crap! I was hoping to keep a dollar eventually.

Pallets are free from the farm next door. Bags would be if I could use the non-vented ones. We use those for sawdust though. (They get several hundred tons of fertizler a year and it comes in bags)

The vented bags are about $15 each with shipping, so $60 a cord. Basically they are paid for after 1 cord. I'm using the bags for bundle wood and to season "premium" wood which is $100 more than regular non seasoned wood.

I wouldn't be selling to wood out of the bag, it'd be dumped into the truck and stacked, same as I do with non-srasoned wood. That is log, processor, conveyor, truck.

Min order on bags is 10, so no big deal.

Not sure how long they'd last. I have some non vented ones that are 10 yrs old. They are pretty "dry" though from the sun cooking them.

No sales tax here.
I do my own DOT annuals, I went to school to be a truck mechanic.
No drug testing needed.

Wood sells well, that whole 7 months of cold winters thing and all.

I watched a few vids of the PackFix. Can't say I'm overly impressed actually. Seems way underbuilt.
Sure isn't logger proof anyhow... ie.. the computer design says that 1/4" plate should be ok, use 1/2"!

The idea behind it makes sense. Just seems like alot of trash with non-reusable wrap though?

Dunno, just thinking out loud.

As far as price, it'd venture it's in the 5-7k area?

As for trash... many of the wood racks I made of treated landscape timbers are rotting and going in the trash, so I don't want to repeat that again, money wise and landfill wise.

What is the foot print of what we do?
In the big picture, probably much larger than we can imagine.
But the small things count up.
"inert" that's bad, as it does not break down.
It is good, in that it does not pollute soil and water by breaking down.
I'm not sure if incineration is the same as burning.

Here is the info label from a roll of mesh.
IMG_4805.jpg

Pricing varies depending on the 'base' choosen. There is free standing, three point hook up, and hydro which is the turn table and two fill drums, and maybe other options. Then there is shipping.
Email Northeast Implement for info and pricing.

Quality/build: It is a German company, and this product is built in Austria. I had no idea about the machine other than YouTube and a British blog. They had a few neg. comments mixed in with a lot of praises. There were also a number of used units on the European market at that time, and I wondered why.

I was pleasantly surprised with Posch. I had never seen any other Posch equipment prior to ordering.
Same with Super Split.
Same with Timberwolf.
Same with Log-Rite.
I have a Log-Rite arch. I've used it a lot in the past, including last year, clearing my work area. Well built, great design... and powder coated. There are areas of weld splatter and poorly prepare steel for paint. Does it effect the function? No.
Is it disappointing? Yeah. Every time I see those areas on it.
The Posch is joy to walk up to and use, function, design, and finish.
Every day that I process wood I use it. After a year, I still love it.

Small truck with crane, and trailer if need be and road legal. Drive darn near anywhere. Lift on/off bags.
unloading5.jpg

I'm looking at something like this but with a crane that I can mount on truck, or trailer, or tractor. Will spend Summers on the tractor, Winters on truck or trailer doing deliveries.

The short answer...

I bought the PackFix sight unseen, ordering it from Austria through the US importer, Northeast Implement in Spencer, NY. 07/14/16
It took a couple month shipping from overseas after putting 20% down.
Northeast Implement was great to work with. You can also find them at the Paul Bunyan Show.
The paint still looks almost new. I stored it inside two of the four winters, the rest of the time outside in the weather.
The function, the construction, the design, is all excellent.
The screws and custom washers for the foot well plates, and base cover plates are all stainless. These are pieces I remove annually for cleaning and inspection. That is attention to outdoor use.
The controls, the holder for changing rolls of webbing, the drum lifting tripod latch, are all well placed and easily used without issue. The hydraulic hoses are secured and well placed, etc. The mast is hinges for shipping, transportation or storage. The paint is smooth, unlike some steel things I've bought and thought what piss poor prepping. It has a B&S vertical shaft engine. I changed oil and added fresh gas after sitting since early November. It started on the first pull. I've never had to pull it more than three times, 95% first pull starts. Very important, as it is started, run and shut off for each pallet wrapped.

I work alone, so my process is this: Cut/split one fill drum. When 1/3 full, I check the drum and with a long handled hook-a-roon level the splits to avoid voids from teepee-ing splits at the bottom, and continue filling. (if the conveyor is offset to one side of the fill drum there are fewer teepees.) The splits in the full fill drum are leveled off, any extra splits are thrown in the empty fill drum next to it. Pull start the Posch to activate the hydraulic turntable. The full drum is rotated under the lifting tripod and the empty fill drum under the conveyor. The tripod is lowered, and easily positioned and attached to the full fill drum with an easy one handed down rotation of a single handle. The netting is attached to the pallet by tying off the end. The drum is lifted 1" to allow the netting wand to clear the pallet corners and rotate around the drum twice, at which point I staple the netting to the pallet to keep the netting from lifting. Then return to the controls and wrap the drum five or six more times by activating the hydraulic wand as the drum is lifted, slip formed, up. This is done by coordinating the hydraulic wand control and separate lifting control. Both are very smooth actions and easily done. When the drum is within 6" of the top of the bundle the lift and wand is stopped. I keep tension on the netting and cut it off. Then lift the drum another 18" and tie netting off at top of bundle. Pull the wrapped pallet off with fork lift and set down, backing out of the pallet half way. Place a new pallet on the turntable and lower fill drum, release and raise tripod a foot above the empty drum. Shut off Posch, cover bundle with 6' x 6' cover, cinch with baling twine laced through the four stitched corners, and stage bundle for seasoning. The process takes about ten minutes. While the forklift is running the log decks are reloaded about every second pallet, or half cord, and the forklift is staged in front of the Posch to unload the next bundle. Fire up the splitter, conveyor, and chainsaw. The entire process, from loading the log deck to staging a finished full cord is 3 1/2 to 4 hours, and I don't push it at all. (one person, 3 1/2 to 4 man hours per cord for comparison, if you use one, two or more, for total man hours per cord log to finish) Just a steady pace, and do one, to one and a half cord. On top of that is cleanup. The saw chips build up with each session, the loose bark builds up, and both get mucked out by hand and hauled off with the quad.

In almost four years, there is nothing on this unit that disappoints.
Recommend? I love it. It was a very good choice for me.

Only you can decide if it addresses your needs, and if it is cost effective.
For me, it has yet to be cost effective at 70 cord per year. (There are a lot of factors there. Number of cords produced, cord pricing, log pricing, operational costs, etc.)

What it does is reduce time, labor or handling, and associated costs; very good air flow for seasoning, elevates it off the ground which is cleaner firewood, pallets are easily picked up with equipment vs pushing into a pile; better idea of volume or quantity of wood in your stock pile and for your customer, as each bundle is very consistent, etc.
Many of these things are pluses that do not have an associated dollar value, but can add up to create a better firewood product and happy customer base.

The Posch PackFix is not the limiting production factor for me, just the opposite. It makes more production possible.
If anyone would like to put your eyes on it, to run it, I am open to that in the future, when the "stay at home, essential services only" is lifted. (bring a mask)
I pulled it from the shipping container and set it up this week.
Several weeks ago I used the splitter/conveyor and piled up an estimated five cord. Been using the quad and trailer to restock the woodshed.
Makes me appreciate the PackFix even more.

Cost effective? (you would have to get current pricing, but here are my numbers.)
I paid about $17k for the PackFix w/turn table base, plus a pallet of netting at $100./roll, 64 rolls. ($900. shipping included, for machine and pallet of netting)
If you depreciate the entire cost of machine 100%, 1,000 cord would cost $17.00/cord for the machine, and $8,000. in netting. ($2.00/pallet; 4 pallets/cord.)
$25./cord, plus pallets.
When I compared bulk bags four years ago I figured the bags need a pallet under them, so that's a wash between the two.
At $10. per bag, three bags per cord, is $30.
No idea how many uses to expect, so I figured four years, 25% replacement/yr. (7 bags, 4yrs, $70./4=$17.50/yr per cord.)
It will alway cost $17.50/cord, regardless of production, or whatever the real world number actually is.
With the Posch doubling production reduces cost per cord.
If you have a processor and do 2,000 cord in five years or something, then the $17. cost of equipment becomes $8.50 Posch, $8. netting per cord, plus pallets.
When I did my numbers I used four bulk bags per cord, and three pallets per cord. Real world, it takes four pallets with the Posch to stack out a full cord plus a few cu. ft. And baggers say three bags per cord, despite the volume of a fill drum is larger than the volume of a bulk bag. (?)

And in real world, the Posch machine has resale value. If the machine sells for 50% of initial cost (assuming shipping as part of initial cost), then my price per 1,000 cord drops considerably, $8.50 Posch +$8.00 netting.
If I only do 500 cord total, which is much more realistic, my cost is still $17. for the Posch, and $8.00/cord netting, or $25./cord. That works for me.
My intension was to get a processor, and the Posch would enable me to grow into that. Still a possibility, but less so, as other non firewood things factor in.

Great Post! Short answer...lol

I too work by myself except for a couple HS kids who I pay to stack. I was looking at a single barrel from Northeast for a little under $10k. It that the Posch's advantages over bags is what you said, the machine will have value after 5 years when all the bags had deteriorated away. I would also add to your work sheet above the increase in productivity also would increase your sales and profitability.

I am at a crossroads where my sales are increasing and I wish to grow along with it but must recognize that stacking, loading, are wearing out my joints. The Posch, even if it adds a few $ cost per cord produced would make things easier, more efficient, for me thus keeping me in the game longer into my advanced age. I have been looking at bags and the Posch...

A few items I'm curious of...

1. How are these bundles managed when you are filling your delivery vehicle?

2. Does the bundle become less stable after a few months of seasoning? After it set out for a few months and you pick it up and move with a forklift have you ever had a blow out?

3. What is your success rate making the bundles? Have you ever had a blow out when lifting the barrel?

4. What is your replacement rate for the pallets you purchased?

5. What kind of base does your wood lot have? Do the pallets sink into the earth over time making difficult getting the forks into the pallet?

Thanks for your input. Your past posts, pics etc have been great!

WCA

We are basically two states apart, however you are welcome to try it out.
Cat Man, a long time friend, has helped me cut/split five or six cord last spring as a two man team. Cutting /splitting can continue uninterrupted, except for stopping the conveyor for a minute or two, until the empty fill drum is rotated into place. It is also stopped momentarily when checking the first third of the fill drum for a minute or two.
1. Delivery. I load two pallets side by side, then run straps. Set two more, and strap. I do not deliver in the winter. The pallets ball up with snow, and the truck bed is too slippery to walk on the edges.IMG_4664.jpg
2. Stability over time? Blow outs?
I no longer double stack because of settling, tilting of upper row of pallets. They do not topple by themselves. I have knocked over several trying to get forks in the top row. If you have side tilt, like a tele handler, no problem. Ofset stacking the top row helps, and pallets with more bottom boards is a must. Top pallet sag with softwood pallets is probably a bigger problem than lower row settling. b.) blowouts. Blowouts are from teepee splits against side of fill drum causing voids in the drum volume. When the drum is lifted these bundles tilt towards the void. The netting on the opposite side can split and the load topple when moving. These also are a problem loading/transporting even with a sock. The issue can be avoided by checking the fill drum when 1/3 full. The fill drums have site slots at the upper level you can see through from a distance. I bought a 4' LogRite hook-a-roon for the bottom third. The ones that tip I sell to people that do not require delivery. As for volume. The voids are basically small, a handful of splits at most, equal to the extra in each drum normally.
3.) Success rate. I typically do eight complete wraps. Sometimes seven. Sometimes nine or ten. But a good wrap is eight. If you hit the end of a roll mid way and tie the next roll it may take more, because without tension on the netting it loosens and slides down the outside of the drum.
Yes. My son blew his first one out, no big deal. We hand loaded the other empty drum with the mess. It happens.
I have blown out a couple. The fill drum needs to be waxed on the outside, where the netting wraps the lower 2' outside of the drum. Dirt and oxidation, keeps the netting from slipping, lifting it, the netting, with the drum and tearing it from, or above, the pallet. once the drum is lifted it cannot be lowered over the wood to the pallet. If there is wood in the fill drum it only goes up. I wax the drum twice a year, or when it appears to need it.
4.) Pallet replacement rate varies with hardwood/softwood, number of boards on bottom of pallet. Softwood pallets with a knotty top board may break from the first few splits dropping into it. You need five boards on the bottom. I have 100 three board softwood. Post #16, previous page, first photo shows 48" x 48" pallet overhangs end of turntable. It is sitting on some osb. Three bottom board softwood pallets sometimes break with 1,400 pounds of green oak. In that case I use a floor jack to lift that side so I can get forks in the pallet. The pallet get worse with reuse and I cull them out rather than go through the hassle. Some pallets get abused by the forklift driver. I have about 350 pallets, repaired 50, about 50 more to repair, some tops, some bottoms. I used to pay $4.00/used pallets. Hard to find 48" x 48". I have some nine block pallets I've yet to try, 40" x 48". The truckload on the previous page I paid $8.00 ea., and they are junk new for heavy loads, but still using them. Hardwood pallets for drums seem to be the best (shown on the truck in the picture above.).
5. Gravel base. The pallets do not sink. It needs to be fairly level but able to drain of course. On sloped ground, settling will tilt the bundles. Fall leaves get trapped between the bundles and make a wet blanket on top of pallets. When loading for delivery the pallets need to be swept top for leaves, bottom for stones, and in-between cleaned with a broom pushed through before covering with sock..

I've considered a dump trailer quite often as a preferable option to hand unloading which seemingly takes forever. Using a second conveyor or building a platform to set pallets on, back trailer under platform to load, and cut netting.

Back