Panther good csm? Or???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateleeWi

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I found a guy a couple hours away from me with a panther 2 mill. 48 " never used. Was selling with bar and chain. For 365. But got him to separate it out as bar won't fit my saw. He wants 165 for the mill? Looked online they are about 189 new plus shipping. I think I'd have more in the. Gas at the end. But wondering if panther is a good brand or should I stick with granberg or Logosol or something else. Looking to see what you guys have and what you like.

I have a 60" panthermill I bought direct from the guy who makes them. Hands down solid frame. Easily adjusted and can be extended to 84" in minutes. Not sure if any of the others can do that.

The grand berg mk 111 is a very nice mill they go up to 4 ft I think and and are very adjustable they are more than the panther and to me the Panther looks heavy and like a back yard job .
Just my 0.02$

I have a panther 42 inch mill. It is veey well made and doesnt flex in the cut. The oiler that comes with isnt the best in the world but it works. It is heavy but imo if you usung 36 plus bar and saw that is large enough to be effective u will need a helper anyway.

Here is an image of my 60" Panthermill. Getting set up for an 87" gb double ender. The heavier the better for auto-milling. 1111151214.jpg If weight is a concern then consider the slabs you cut. They can come in at 1000 lbs. or more. Anyone who has never actually used one or the other cannot possibly comment on the pros/cons of either.

I love my grandberg but like timberframed said, extra weight is better when in the cut. The only concern would be getting the mill up on the log to get started.

The main factor for me is money. A 72" Panther mill is less than $300 and for a grandberg style mill that isn't even that big you are talking $700 plus.

The company who's logs I mill are ordering a 72" Panther so I will have more input pretty soon.

Can't wait to see that double ended bar in action John!!

Andrew

I have a 36" and a 60" Panther. Yes they are heavy but in general steel is significantly stronger than aluminum, is easier to repair, and takes a beating.
Considering how much my 880 weighs, gas and oil a few extra pounds doesn't really make much of a difference.

I have a 42" Panther Mill, and yeah, it's heavier and not as nicely finished as the others, but check the price to get it to your door compared to the others. It lacks a few refinements but works great, and worth every penny. As mentioned, the auxiliary oiler is not the greatest, I can make a better one. One modification that I did make that saves time, and strongly recommend, is I tack-welded the nuts in place, so only one wrench is needed to make adjustments. Overall, the P.M. is a good value, and I expect many years of use from it.
PantherMill.jpg millingpic.jpg

Bigoak, Scrap the aux oiler and I'll give you the one Kim gave me mounting hook and all. you can see it (kinda') in back. That's all it is. This way you only owe me two (2) beers☺

Attachments

• DSCN0388.JPG
    DSCN0388.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
Back