Part Smart - Obsolescence By Omission?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

I went in to my local Stihl dealer and tried to order some simple common parts for an FS120 trimmer. I was expecting the shop to be able to look up the correct part numbers and order them. Unfortunately they say they can't even look up the part numbers because the FS120 is not in Part Smart.

So it looks like any machine that was not brought into the new Part Smart system will soon have all of the spare parts go away as most dealers won't have a way to find the parts anymore. Stihl will see no more usage / sales of these older parts and will swiftly discontinue them.

Get you parts orders in now for older machines before they become unobtainium!

Steve

Nah, they just probably are not looking it up correctly.
Get yourself the mediacat disc, and don't worry about it....
Got Media Cat but was not expecting to have to take part numbers into a dealer who should be able to look them up!

It so sad around me that I look up part numbers before I even go to/call the dealers around here.... That's a damn joke if ya ask me!!!!!

Ari part smart is a joke, I was sold a bill of goods on it for my new website, turns out that they aren't current on dolmar like they claimed, they aren't negotiating a new contract as claimed, in total I think there are 6 dolly models missing from it and countless part number supersessions. Models missing for stihl is doesn't surprise me a bit

Yeah, I can't find the FS120 on Parts Smart. That sucks.
Can't help but think that this is happening to a lot of other older Stihl saws and trimmers. This will turn into a self-eating watermelon as Stihl sees no demand for parts because they aren't listed in Part Smart and thus decides to discontinue them.

Latest posts

Back