Personal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you could do a cord in an hour and a half, would that still not equate to $10 an hr and be over minimum wage?
A friend of mine has a business that sprays foam insulation and he has switched his guys from hourly to 50cents a sq ft. He said it's one of the best moves his business has ever made. It motivates the good employees, and the lousy ones just can't hang and make their own way out the door.
Tried that at $15/cord. Didn't work out. Legally have to pay at least minimum wage, even at piece rate (what the labor dept calls it).

If you could do a cord in an hour and a half, would that still not equate to $10 an hr and be over minimum wage?
A friend of mine has a business that sprays foam insulation and he has switched his guys from hourly to 50cents a sq ft. He said it's one of the best moves his business has ever made. It motivates the good employees, and the lousy ones just can't hang and make their own way out the door.

Yeah, but it doesn't average out that well. Some days might be 7-8 hrs of work to 1 cord, some days might be 5 cords.

A few years ago, the company gave us flip phones. Boss says, you need to carry the phone at all times so I can call you. Guess what, we work in the rain and my raincoat pocket doesn't drain. Oops, wrecked 2 phones due to water damage.

I just hired another 23 year old kid just out of the army. We'll see how this one works out starting Monday. If this one is anything like the "Marine" was, that's the end of that ********,, never again!! I stick to the usual low lives. lol

That's what's wrong he's a marine geez army is the only way to go especially if he's a Air borne Ranger

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's what's wrong he's a marine geez army is the only way to go especially if he's a Air borne Ranger

Lol, I don't really know anything about the service in general. He did refer to marines as "window licking crayon eaters", which I thought was kinda funny.

Lol I say that cause I'm an ex army ranger long time ago forgotten thank god

Easy to tell if a new guy is going to be good. 1. If he/she works hard but not too hard to kill them self in 2 hrs.
2 What they bring for food n drink to the job site.
3 do they observe there surroundings and look to the sound of a saw
4 pick up a rake and put it to use
Very true we have had several show up with nothing or one 16oz bottle of water after being told bring food and water, you do not get to go somewhere to eat. After 2 of them I told the owner to send them home cause they are useless after a couple hrs....

There are good army/marines and there are bad some of the most out of shape laziest people I've delt with were ex army.... I've also had a few amazing ones too.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Very true we have had several show up with nothing or one 16oz bottle of water after being told bring food and water, you do not get to go somewhere to eat. After 2 of them I told the owner to send them home cause they are useless after a couple hrs....

There are good army/marines and there are bad some of the most out of shape laziest people I've delt with were ex army.... I've also had a few amazing ones too.

The company by law is to supply water.
Jeff

Jeff
I have seen no such thing here, weather its a tree service, construction company, or one of the top fortune 500 companies that involves heavy labor. I mean they have a perfectly good water supply at the shop nobody chooses to use it or bring containers to fill for their use.

You're company sounds like a real fun place to work. We would provide ice and water. Usually a 5 gallon cooler for a crew of three.
It depends on the state. All the places I worked for would leave a couple cases of bottled water in the truck, but I know they did not have to. I always do that for anyone who works for me. Usually buy some snacks if you work Saturday. Seems to make folks a little less unhappy for weekend work. My old boss was ALWAYS buying us lunch or breakfast, absolutely wonderful guy to work for.

I do think the note of what they bring for lunch is a good one. Really good point. Might be a new interview question when I start looking for my own help along with 'whats the first thing you should do when you hear a saw start'?

You're company sounds like a real fun place to work. We would provide ice and water. Usually a 5 gallon cooler for a crew of three.
What cause you'd have to pack your own jug of water? I know it's a complicated concept. It's kind of a test to eliminate the weak, day one if you can't put on boots, pants and bring a proper lunch and a jug of water, something you were told the day before very clearly it tells me a lot about you. Like you may not follow direction very well.

I don't care if a company supplies drink or not it's nice if they do but I always bring food n drinks and know il have enough on ****** hot days to offer some out too. If not I will refill with someones water hose

Cooler of Gatorade on the chipper, 2 gallons for the three of us and I buy lunch and coffee/donuts. Makes the day go by much better. I used to not drink at all all day and never knew it was what caused all my headaches. Not anymore

Jeff

WHAT!?? You mean to tell me that on top of minimum wage to run DA CHIPPAH! I have to buy water also!!?? I guess yer gonna tell me I have to provide somewhere legal to take a ****!!??

Latest posts

Back