Petzl Stop in Yo-Yo/RADS?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFrazier

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I hear all of the proponents for the GriGri, the I'D, the Cinch, the Eddy, etc., but has anyone tried the Petzl stop on the harness in a RADS SRT setup? It's what I use exclusively and I love it. It may not feed slack as smoothly as some of the others, but it's an absolute joy to descend on. Of course there's the worry that it doesn't lock off as securely as something like a GriGri, but I'm 215 lbs. before gear and it holds me quite well on 7/16" NeoPro. I also don't use a pulley in my setup to ascend. I'm much faster without it. I just grap the free end of the rope coming out of the Stop palm up with my right hand, and as I stand up in my footloop, I pull slack with one fluid motion upward and sit right back down in my harness. I do like to run the rope through a Petzl Fixe and clip it into my Oval 'biner on my upper ascender before going out on a limb walk because it's easier to tend slack by pulling it toward you as you walk back to the trunk. Let me know what you think.

Happy Holidays,

Josh Frazier USMC

Welcome to the forum Josh.

Pretty interesting rig, sounds like it works well for you. For a RADS it's helpful to keep all the components and links below the ascender as short as possible vertically. That way you can get more height per pull. It makes a difference in longer ascents. The Grigri meets that requirement well. I'm trying to imagine a Stop in a RADS, it's taking up significant vertical space (I think). I'm sure it's a much better ride down then a Grigri.

If you can get someone to shoot a video clip of climbing your system I'd be interested in seeing it.
-moss

I hear all of the proponents for the GriGri, the I'D, the Cinch, the Eddy, etc., but has anyone tried the Petzl stop on the harness in a RADS SRT setup? It's what I use exclusively and I love it. It may not feed slack as smoothly as some of the others, but it's an absolute joy to descend on. Of course there's the worry that it doesn't lock off as securely as something like a GriGri, but I'm 215 lbs. before gear and it holds me quite well on 7/16" NeoPro. I also don't use a pulley in my setup to ascend. I'm much faster without it. I just grap the free end of the rope coming out of the Stop palm up with my right hand, and as I stand up in my footloop, I pull slack with one fluid motion upward and sit right back down in my harness. I do like to run the rope through a Petzl Fixe and clip it into my Oval 'biner on my upper ascender before going out on a limb walk because it's easier to tend slack by pulling it toward you as you walk back to the trunk. Let me know what you think.

Happy Holidays,

Josh Frazier USMC

Latest posts

Back