picking up the mess

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add a landscape mulching service option using your wood chips. Promote it as sustainable nutrient recycling.

I picked up a small chipper several years ago from a estate deal thinking I would use the motor for a snow machine. One day I started messing around with it and found it worked pretty well on small stuff so I would put it in the back of one of my pickups for clean up. Usually it would be used to blow the small junk into my truck or pick up. It does not chip anything larger than 3'' but it is nice for clean up. Many customers ask me often if I have extra chips for landscaping or gardens and I just give the chips away. As it saves a ton on dump fees. I was going to buy a real chipper for $15,000, but a friend had a nice one that will meet us at any job that is too big for us. As it turns out the larger chipper is not needed often and not hauling around another piece of equipment is just fine. If I end up with quite a bit of small rounds larger than 3'' then I give it away or take it home for my stove. Thanks

On the most extreme urban removals we have had the owner hire some body to mulch up all the brush with a chainsaw and sit there and have a campfire once we were outa there. we went back a second day to remove the remaining portion of the tree, which was all logs after the brush was out of the way. He then had 2 guys split the logs and burn everything.
This was an extreme case of no access it was a courtyard in a mansion, they built the house around the tree, there was zero equipment access virtually no access for a person you had to go through the house and no way we were going to even think about that. We had to clean our saws b4 and after use to carry through the house.... major pain but hey it was fun leaving that mess behind!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I picked up a small chipper several years ago from a estate deal thinking I would use the motor for a snow machine. One day I started messing around with it and found it worked pretty well on small stuff so I would put it in the back of one of my pickups for clean up. Usually it would be used to blow the small junk into my truck or pick up. It does not chip anything larger than 3'' but it is nice for clean up. Many customers ask me often if I have extra chips for landscaping or gardens and I just give the chips away. As it saves a ton on dump fees. I was going to buy a real chipper for $15,000, but a friend had a nice one that will meet us at any job that is too big for us. As it turns out the larger chipper is not needed often and not hauling around another piece of equipment is just fine. If I end up with quite a bit of small rounds larger than 3'' then I give it away or take it home for my stove. Thanks
What kind of chipper is that? That's exactly what I need for my business. How fast does it chip? I currently stuff all my debris in my 6x12 tandem axle dump trailer with sides built up to about 3.5' tall or so. I can fit ALOT in there if I have one of my guys stomp it down and cut it up with a saw so it compacts. Usually I only have to make 1 maybe 1.5 full trips for trees under 50" and not a lot of debr

No helicopter access? Come on. [emoji857]
Did not want to damage other trees, it was a thought! We actually turned down a helicopter job once tho. It was for Michael Jordan he lives or lived a town over from our shop.
What kind of chipper is that? That's exactly what I need for my business. How fast does it chip? I currently stuff all my debris in my 6x12 tandem axle dump trailer with sides built up to about 3.5' tall or so. I can fit ALOT in there if I have one of my guys stomp it down and cut it up with a saw so it compacts. Usually I only have to make 1 maybe 1.5 full trips for trees under 50" and not a lot of debr
Don't get anything less then a 6" you might think it's a good idea but it's really not a 6" is about just as slow as brush loading

Did not want to damage other trees, it was a thought! We actually turned down a helicopter job once tho. It was for Michael Jordan he lives or lived a town over from our shop.

Don't get anything less then a 6" you might think it's a good idea but it's really not a 6" is about just as slow as brush loading

Gotcha

I've heard the hardest part about helicopter work is getting one that is rated for what you need. Some are too freaking big and expensive.
My buddy worked with a helicopter installing a huge AC unit on a mall roof. He said it was drinking almost 500 gallons an hour and had to re fuel after every other pick. It was picking 16k at a time I think.

I think the guy is just amazed that there could ever be such a mess ( and it keeps coming everyday) to clean up before he can get paid and just wanted someone to talk to about it. Yeah, its one hell of a mess! And thanks for the guy who mentioned rakes and shovels, you really got this thread moving and hopefully gave some reassurance to the poster in the daily battle of picking up the mess. I didn't bother responding because the question seemed so elementary. If he had said "The ****ing mess" then that is an area that would better suit my talents, mental issues.

back to rakes, do you prefer metal rakes for everyday operations or do the big plastic rakes have a spot in your tool box?

I have a set of custom plastic rakes with aluminum handles. There is fine tooth and coarse tooth. I pair these with other types of rakes as well, all custom and designed to do a specific job the best way it possibly could while remaining easier to operate. One has batteries. You do not want to hear what I think you can do with a metal tine rake.

I have a set of custom plastic rakes with aluminum handles. There is fine tooth and coarse tooth. I pair these with other types of rakes as well, all custom and designed to do a specific job the best way it possibly could while remaining easier to operate. One has batteries. You do not want to hear what I think you can do with a metal tine rake.
You blow my mind every time you type! Ha!

You blow my mind every time you type!

There's an old saying that if you give enough monkeys typewriters, one of them will write some Shakespeare. No, they won't. But by the end of the third day, all of them will be writing stuff that looks just like Dr. P's posts.
They're gonna need a lot of booze, though.

Gold anodized aluminum thick wall tube for lightweight, positive and constant strength and rigidity throughout each stroke.

Latest posts

Back