pictures of log loads then and now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Number 3 was typical of the loads coming out of the N. Fork of the Clearwater back in early 50s. They went right by our house.

Number 1; They still had one of those big ones on a display trailer showing up at county fairs back in the 40s and early 50s. Had a small office with window and door hollowed out of it.

Harry K

those are some unbelievable pictures. I have an old piece of cypress board that came from a tree almost that big around. It's hard to imagine trees that big around nowadays, especially here in Fl.

I have an old photo of a 3 log load on a flatbed railroad car. There is a large crane, probably steam, in the background. The old grapple loaders could handle some pretty big logs. The guys that ran them had to be pretty coordinated. They didn't seem to bang up the trucks any worse than the guys running the hydraulic loaders do. But, they only had to load a few logs on a truck to get a load.

wonder how much a load of those logs would bring at today's prices. 1 log would make alot of lumber.

Logging trucks...

Amusing. I see so many logging trucks and logging operations here that I do not even think about them any more. Weird photos of the trucks in Michigan. 90 degree difference in loading than we have here in the west. We live in a small remove valley on a remote highway spur that turns to rock and dirt logging roads about a mile up the road from us. Last year when the price of doug fir peaked, there was a logging truck every 30 minutes. Mostly smaller stuff, but they also cut old growth around here. Every so often there will be a one, two or three logs per rig roll by. I still see a lot of the large logs being trucked up and down I-5.

Back