Pine Tree, 3 pitch climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiecutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I finally got out to try a multi pitch climb. The tree wasn't too tall, so I did short pitches in order to get a few in. I ran into some problems with rope management but started to get a hang of it towards the end. Due to many a suggestion I got my hands on a much thicker rope, 11mm is MUCH easier to handle that my 8mm line. I apologize for the weird camera angles, my sister was on the camera and she does what she wants too.

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting footlock technique you've invented there :)

That's excellent that you explored a multi-pitch climb on a relatively small tree. As you mentioned, you ran into some rope management problems. You're learning tree lessons that will serve you well when you get into bigger trees. Way to go.
-moss

Interesting footlock technique you've invented there :)

That's excellent that you explored a multi-pitch climb on a relatively small tree. As you mentioned, you ran into some rope management problems. You're learning tree lessons that will serve you well when you get into bigger trees. Way to go.
-moss

yesss, the foot lock concept still eludes me haha

A question about rope management, are you carrying your entire rope up with you and keeping it in a bag of some sort? This seems to be the most logical way of management that I have come up with.

yesss, the foot lock concept still eludes me haha

A question about rope management, are you carrying your entire rope up with you and keeping it in a bag of some sort? This seems to be the most logical way of management that I have come up with.

Everyone manages rope differently. I like the tail of the rope to hang free below me.
-moss

Nice stuff cookiecutter, you really are into this... still out climbing with snow on the ground... and your not even getting paid! Haha, just wondering what exactly is going on there, are you using the tail of your rope to advance your tie in point to a higher crotch? If so then I can understand where your rope management issues would come into play... Good stuff man, keep it up!:cheers:

....Haha, just wondering what exactly is going on there, are you using the tail of your rope to advance your tie in point to a higher crotch? If so then I can understand where your rope management issues would come into play... Good stuff man, keep it up!:cheers:

That's a pretty standard rec climber technique. Use the tail to advance the rope and create a new tie-in. Problem is that if you bring the tail up with you, there's a big bight hanging below you to get hung on stubs etc. below. Also any twist you introduce into the rope while ascending gets captured. So... If I'm climbing that way I leave the tail hanging straight down and pull it up when I want it.

If you introduce an adjustable lanyard into the equation the tail never comes up, just tie in with the lanyard and advance the top of the rope to the next pitch. However... what cookiecutter is doing is a very sound technique as is, once the rope management issues are worked out. Plus it provides a good technical basis for later double crotching withe the other end of the rope to traverse horizontally in a wide crown or to another tree.

The main safety rule is completely test and load (put your full weight on it) your second tie-in BEFORE detaching from your first tie-in.

A self-taught rec climber did not follow that rule and fell 35-40 feet when they fully loaded the second tie-in AFTER they detached from the first tie-in. Seems like an obvious mistake to avoid but it happened. He has recovered following the accident. There were other problems like the second tie-in was two thirds out the length of a relatively small diameter red oak limb which also had an unobserved structural flaw abut a third distance out from the trunk.

Which brings up another point, always tie-in close to the branch/trunk union or around the main stem when you're higher up until you get a better sense of understanding tree anatomy, pathology and relative limb strength per species and type (conifer/deciduous) etc. Small steps to safely gain knowledge as you learn.
-moss

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back