Pioneer 600 Rewind Spring?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer600A

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all!

This is my first post! I have been reading the entire Pioneer chainsaw thread and love the amount of knowledge you guys have for the saws. I recently got a clean Pioneer 600A for free. Runs well, rebuilt carb, chain sharpened. I post a thread about it when it is done!

It has the Fairbanks Morse pull start - unfortunately, the rewind spring broke! What can I do about this? It broke about an inch from where it slots into the reel.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Will

Good news! I went to the local chainsaw shop that always has what I need....and he actually had an NOS Fairbanks Morse recoil spring. Pretty cool. I can post the part number if you guys want. The saw just needs the in tank fuel line now...

Will

Just an update - will post an actual saw thread....The saw runs like new! This thing is an animal, I replaced all of the normal age/wear parts and it is better than a new saw.

Looking forward to posting up in the future.

Thanks,
Will

Beautiful saw! I definitely need to repaint mine, it is hideous green and red. Is that an original Pioneer pull start?

I think I am going to really start using this saw. My dad and I have about 4 trees that need to be cut and split. This saw is certainly up to the task!

Will

A few of my Pioneer 600 series saws,

0F8iLF1-KrkRvBzo-3P_ctvZ3WGmlhjPR14_vofyhQI2VbyWguz3FTl-p4vH1EcFdOxu3NK1z3uQKU9lkDvCwVXU2H510H0vp26zpK0rsvu61dC6Z6dPVNkN2Kc2IzS9Jd1YLZloukOT6X5NRdMM-gFli24UIoA_YYIxXDlmbY6x1XG6ZcIQt3rrHeGZy6zQzhY3kNTbf88GjwS-AjiDctrQjib_KA3g_d1mCNChLdmxOaC81Yvg8M76jItlCJBUQvOTE534Ff91KHN0uEg9-kcl6n5WgZnfvBCXeqHOPdKL6mJhYhWD_KFPolmtk-oWuozNup6PZARJBCfeL3LI4hpPgUKihFjLxbcXEVD5OsK8EXTojmwOImZB6JlZPYuswBHW9XWauS5UiyQtpkhEtcdyLTKe6ywY3IS6BsFQFQ-Q8W2Sx-Wyc088P0Eix_xcdy6vyhlUaKVH1ViWgfDDRXIMJNIq-0TjR9C931pubcJfElTuO8224EvEg7TnaeaDaAbsUgzOj6bXXmRs4fHul6HDQBRqd6uLHCWeYY4mMtIRar8DnC5qaFIYyiXarpJteSCpjmjInEHygvC-s-NDd6gL5g=w734-h978-no

A few of my Pioneer 600 series saws,

0F8iLF1-KrkRvBzo-3P_ctvZ3WGmlhjPR14_vofyhQI2VbyWguz3FTl-p4vH1EcFdOxu3NK1z3uQKU9lkDvCwVXU2H510H0vp26zpK0rsvu61dC6Z6dPVNkN2Kc2IzS9Jd1YLZloukOT6X5NRdMM-gFli24UIoA_YYIxXDlmbY6x1XG6ZcIQt3rrHeGZy6zQzhY3kNTbf88GjwS-AjiDctrQjib_KA3g_d1mCNChLdmxOaC81Yvg8M76jItlCJBUQvOTE534Ff91KHN0uEg9-kcl6n5WgZnfvBCXeqHOPdKL6mJhYhWD_KFPolmtk-oWuozNup6PZARJBCfeL3LI4hpPgUKihFjLxbcXEVD5OsK8EXTojmwOImZB6JlZPYuswBHW9XWauS5UiyQtpkhEtcdyLTKe6ywY3IS6BsFQFQ-Q8W2Sx-Wyc088P0Eix_xcdy6vyhlUaKVH1ViWgfDDRXIMJNIq-0TjR9C931pubcJfElTuO8224EvEg7TnaeaDaAbsUgzOj6bXXmRs4fHul6HDQBRqd6uLHCWeYY4mMtIRar8DnC5qaFIYyiXarpJteSCpjmjInEHygvC-s-NDd6gL5g=w734-h978-no

Very cool! I have become an instant follower of Pioneer saws, particularly the 600 series. They just seem ultra rugged and literally the simplest thing I have ever worked on. Having that many of them, can you point out any trouble areas that should be looked out for? I will definitely be using my saw (not like a logger of course) and don't want to mess it up because of a simple mistake!

Will

That is the OEM pull start for the 600 and some 600A saws but a lot of them got converted to the Fairbanks Morse recoils as the OEM ones were prone to breaking the single nylon pawl type starters.

Thanks for the info, I had heard about the OEM starters. My saw has the FM starter - from the reputation of the OEM Pioneer starter, it seems surprising that the starter on that saw was still working this many years later.

Will

On saws that old I pay particular attention to the gasket behind the carb, the seals on the crank and the fuel lines in the tank and between the fuelbowl and carb., all must fit tight and not allow air to enter. I rebuild the Tillotson HL carbs on each of my saws just so they run better. I have several OEM starters for my saws that still work very well, back in the 60`s we made aluminum pawls to replace the nylon ones. Our first new 600 came with a OEM starter and we never had a moments problem with it.

On saws that old I pay particular attention to the gasket behind the carb, the seals on the crank and the fuel lines in the tank and between the fuelbowl and carb., all must fit tight and not allow air to enter. I rebuild the Tillotson HL carbs on each of my saws just so they run better. I have several OEM starters for my saws that still work very well, back in the 60`s we made aluminum pawls to replace the nylon ones. Our first new 600 came with a OEM starter and we never had a moments problem with it.

Cool deal on making the aluminum pawls. I have rebuilt the HL carb, new gasket for that, new fuel lines/filter. Runs perfectly. Also running Echo RedArmor, literally no smoke and should help keep the carb healthy. Sounds like I am on the right track. I do need to make new fuel tank and filter bowl gaskets. Any suggestions other than gasket paper?

Will

The glass bowl to metal holder used a cork gasket originally with a treated paper style gasket between the housing and the tank. If you use a paper gasket treat it with spray on gasket maker or it will swell up quickly in contact with gasoline. There are 3 gaskets between the carb and cylinder that deteriorate with age, these will cause a severe air leak if they let go, I always check or replace them before running a new to me saw, I would hate to ruin a piston or cylinder on these old saws.

The glass bowl to metal holder used a cork gasket originally with a treated paper style gasket between the housing and the tank. If you use a paper gasket treat it with spray on gasket maker or it will swell up quickly in contact with gasoline. There are 3 gaskets between the carb and cylinder that deteriorate with age, these will cause a severe air leak if they let go, I always check or replace them before running a new to me saw, I would hate to ruin a piston or cylinder on these old saws.

Hmmm so I should pull the carb off again and replace those? I'm assuming I'll have to make them too. Normal gasket paper for them?

And can I buy cork gasket maker? Or is the paper coated with gasket maker?

Thanks again for all of the help!

Will

A cork gasket is best for the fuel bowl to the metal housing, I have seen rubber and paper used there and they fail miserably,
LR7LViZ7JvUfGORjPtMNYNDrlWD5ZMGH6o7bX_LfBPd97N32mJXIaWMOFdhizVs3cezJ3miGsWmPUT1x9kxluD6SIZ2ru3N1TKr-AcNnNVx9PgAn_Y2XVlt4EZAzFQtcjDMl9dS-j3VB7-UR6dkiA-TE8VSEQEqLE7PQ7IGpHJqn03vSNJZR9UDFMBoE2SjWwe6zWzwqq0u3BnLabTtZRnUq3TSG460HovEF2Tz5LfQqoQ69COnfKqUsdzlmoCZbeMM1sVTfqc0zPHBfi80wOI26r8z3IIcrlcz1_mPp1I9llGoF9UKO4_J_x_nePUoODJTuKF6wJhj5MM-eq-RJQF9rJXEHTyIbs8EK4Rm8aRG-WtTyParcNyBlgnWyjvfJVLbijPX4i4zSik4kfSEDMvQ7ZGqhAP16COAesdtJZ4A-_fkHHnQqSfgW8NPoIssfpRI9LwPOMFEHWNQzunN8sZ7ONCZTzubuxETTNt7fpcOn8lXi9ktodTGmTZMjYUeSc7dhrQnWoDV40iL6nzFYD4mcb31ypE0fi8WNR1_wF-cD98MmtyIv7snhTLvcvblX9t1aF0NHBAnmBy_GnAkjFy-XWg=w1305-h978-no

Automotive sheet gasket material will work well for the gaskets behind the carb, the one that goes between carb adapter to the cylinder does get quite hot , the original gasket was made of a heat resistant material but even those got cracked and brittle over time. I have made them from a type of heat resistant sheet material that contains asbestos, something no one wants to handle any more.

A cork gasket is best for the fuel bowl to the metal housing, I have seen rubber and paper used there and they fail miserably,
LR7LViZ7JvUfGORjPtMNYNDrlWD5ZMGH6o7bX_LfBPd97N32mJXIaWMOFdhizVs3cezJ3miGsWmPUT1x9kxluD6SIZ2ru3N1TKr-AcNnNVx9PgAn_Y2XVlt4EZAzFQtcjDMl9dS-j3VB7-UR6dkiA-TE8VSEQEqLE7PQ7IGpHJqn03vSNJZR9UDFMBoE2SjWwe6zWzwqq0u3BnLabTtZRnUq3TSG460HovEF2Tz5LfQqoQ69COnfKqUsdzlmoCZbeMM1sVTfqc0zPHBfi80wOI26r8z3IIcrlcz1_mPp1I9llGoF9UKO4_J_x_nePUoODJTuKF6wJhj5MM-eq-RJQF9rJXEHTyIbs8EK4Rm8aRG-WtTyParcNyBlgnWyjvfJVLbijPX4i4zSik4kfSEDMvQ7ZGqhAP16COAesdtJZ4A-_fkHHnQqSfgW8NPoIssfpRI9LwPOMFEHWNQzunN8sZ7ONCZTzubuxETTNt7fpcOn8lXi9ktodTGmTZMjYUeSc7dhrQnWoDV40iL6nzFYD4mcb31ypE0fi8WNR1_wF-cD98MmtyIv7snhTLvcvblX9t1aF0NHBAnmBy_GnAkjFy-XWg=w1305-h978-no

Automotive sheet gasket material will work well for the gaskets behind the carb, the one that goes between carb adapter to the cylinder does get quite hot , the original gasket was made of a heat resistant material but even those got cracked and brittle over time. I have made them from a type of heat resistant sheet material that contains asbestos, something no one wants to handle any more.

The cleanliness of that saw is so impressive! Thanks for the info. I'll pull it all apart and get it regasketed. Then it will be done minus the cosmetics... I'll report back once she is done and upload a picture or two. Maybe even a video of it in action.

Will

Back