Pioneer 650 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys. I haven't finished it. It's still in the vice downstairs.:(
I need a better pin for the ring stop. I don't trust it like it is.
Also, The exhaust port needs to be shaped properly so it doesn't catch a ring and I haven't even gotten a degree wheel on it yet to figure out how far up I can go. Every time I go down there, I want to play with it but there's always some crisis that I'm in the middle of. I'll get it it done one day. My projects are all like this. I either pull an all nighter and get it done, or it takes me three years.

i would use a roll pin.. They compress and will not slide back out when taped in, and then you can run it up and down some to see if anythign is going to hang, and adjust accordingly.. You can also grind the roll pins off to make them the length you need them, and they are cheap at the hardware store.

That's what I have in there now.
I'd rather have a pressed in solid pin with little splines on it, like the ones that Wiseco uses. I'd settle for a tight fitting straight drill bit shank though.

I think trying to get an interferance fit witha drill bit shank in aluminum is gonna be hard to do without messing something up

if you wanted to try it, you could heat the piston, and freeze the drill bit shank.. Heat to expand the piston hole, and freeze the shank to make it smaller, then put the two together while one is hot, and the other is frozen.

We have done that a few times on the farm

Yup. That type of thing. I put wrist pins in rods and gears on output shafts that way. I use a deep fat fryer and motor oil.

I would still be leary of the drill bit shank.. They are tough as all get out when loaded vertically, but when you put any side load on them, they become brittle little suckers...

Think about breaking drillbits when drilling metal.. They just fracture..

Yup, that's true. I'm still thinking it over.
As for the port, it's so short. I'm sure I can go higher but I don't really want to go more then 7-8000rpm. I'm scared it'll fly apart in my hands.

As long as whatever pin you use, is secure, and does not stick out past the ring lands, then I think you will be fine.

Yes, this is an old thread, but I'm curious to know how this turned out, or if anyone else modded a 650.

No but I have one that I've been thinking of getting running as it's my only 100cc or above saw. Hope to have it running for the Iowa GTG.

It didn't run very long. The rings grabbed the exhaust port and that was the end. :msp_sad:
I shouldn't have connected the holes like I did. I wound up selling it for parts along with my Homelite 360...which I also killed! :msp_crying:

They are all fine runners, some are residing in far off countries and I hear back occasionally that they are running fine.
I think the question still remains.... What did you do to them, to make them fine runners?

Hi there. Working on a pioneer 600, replacing crank seals,made a puller to spilt the case ,new seals are in. What the best way to press the case back together again. Andy

Latest posts

Back