Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would Poulan have used a P45 case to make a PP455? I have one here with this tag
f274baf2e2a85e46e42eaab52fbf51ae.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Anyone ever use these on their saws?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
My p61 western came with them, and it's a strong runner. I don't have another p61 put together yet to compare it to though. From what I have heard it's supposed to help them not load up at long periods of idling, and a little more top end power.

I have the previous generation, a p-40. Points on this model, wonder if you can swap out and go with points on the 41?

Here are some pictures of the p-40, the saw was in good shape with good compression so I had to go over it and repaint. Found out I need a new oil seal in the pump and my nylon pump gear
is on the worn side. Anybody have a spare they can part with? Part number 430880, or assembly 473947. Will buy it or trade some pioneer 1200a parts for it, also have some Homelite xl1,
xl2, husky 35 parts and various clutches.

DSCF3987 (Large).JPG DSCF3988 (Large).JPG DSCF3991 (Large).JPG DSCF3980 (Large).JPG

I have the previous generation, a p-40. Points on this model, wonder if you can swap out and go with points on the 41?

Here are some pictures of the p-40, the saw was in good shape with good compression so I had to go over it and repaint. Found out I need a new oil seal in the pump and my nylon pump gear
is on the worn side. Anybody have a spare they can part with? Part number 430880, or assembly 473947. Will buy it or trade some pioneer 1200a parts for it, also have some Homelite xl1,

View attachment 547931 View attachment 547932 View attachment 547933 View attachment 547934

Check to see if the crank has the lobe for operating the points, some early models did but later ones the lobe was dropped. Pioneer had a habit of using up all old stock parts before starting in on new stock on saws that were a carry over model.

View attachment 547931 View attachment 547932 View attachment 547933 View attachment 547934

Check to see if the crank has the lobe for operating the points, some early models did but later ones the lobe was dropped. Pioneer had a habit of using up all old stock parts before starting in on new stock on saws that were a carry over model.

I'm not sure if this will work but there seems to be more than a few P41's out of commission due to ignition failures.

This was posted up a while ago by a member and requires a bit of fabrication but it may work on the P41 as well. I don't know if it will but have a look.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pioneer-p61-no-spark.130254/#post-6018940

Hey I just joined this site. I was just given a Pioneer Partner p42. The rings and piston are toast and couldn't find a piston. So Im going to try something that may not work. I ordered a new Poulan Pro 455 cylinder. I read somewhere that it can be installed. What I cant find is a picture of the left side case from a 455 or 655 or something with a boost port to see the differences in the case and what I'll need to modify so I have a smooth transition to the third transfer. Does someone have one they can take a picture of and post it on here. I'll make it work either way but it would be nice to have a starting point. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey I just joined this site. I was just given a Pioneer Partner p42. The rings and piston are toast and couldn't find a piston. So Im going to try something that may not work. I ordered a new Poulan Pro 455 cylinder. I read somewhere that it can be installed. What I cant find is a picture of the left side case from a 455 or 655 or something with a boost port to see the differences in the case and what I'll need to modify so I have a smooth transition to the third transfer. Does someone have one they can take a picture of and post it on here. I'll make it work either way but it would be nice to have a starting point. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to AS!

Anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but the 455 top end should bolt right up to the P42 bottom end. It's a different boost port setup from that of a 655BP, though that's not an issue here anyway.

You'll want to find out for sure why the P42 top end fried (vac test/ pressure test). The reed block seal or the reed block itself are, by far, the most likely sources of an air leak on a Pioneer. In fact, that's the only place(s) I've had air leaks in 35 years of running Pioneers. Just my personal experience.

I think you'll enjoy a really cool saw!

It will bolt up. Per the IPL for the 455 it has a matching cutout for the airflow into the third port like the standard 2 transfers. I'm planning on grinding that area out to basically match the cases to the cylinder. I just can't find a picture of the inside of a 455 case to see how it was from the factory

I'm completely rebuilding it. I'm a motorcycle mechanic by trade and I build dozens of 2 stroke race motors for local racers. So all that will be addressed. It looks like it was straight gassed

Thank you Thank you Thank you. Exactly what I needed. Is there a reason the insides of the cases are painted in the crank pocket? I ask because a painted slick surface is the exact opposite of what you want. Fuel will want to stick to it and hinders atomization. It should be rough around an 80 grit. Just don't know what these cases are made of. Assuming aluminum but I heard magnesium also and I'm not sure how raw magnesium reacts to gas

Another quick question. I know the carbs on the p42 and the 455 are a different model but are they the same bore? I haven't been able find that info.

Has anyone had any luck making an air filter for a P28 or similar? I need a couple of them. Any pictures on a homemade one I'd be grateful.

Back