Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned and dried discs and sanded the glazing. Sanded a crosshatch lightly on pawl arm. Pawls kick out and catch well on saw with less wear on drum. So an insert it will get eventually.
Working on my RA first then will get after the 650s.
BTW, what would you fellas recommend as a saw to look for next?
Cheers
Walter

The insert in the starter cup is a good fix if you don`t have NOS extras on hand. Like already mentioned be careful not to split/crack the cup as a few of these have come my way after they self destructed inside the recoil covers, not a pretty sight.

That cup I showed with notches in it had an aluminum insert I made pressed in.
As far as what saws to look for next, if you are interested in pioneers I would go for a P series saw, they are impressive for their vintage. Or whatever else you can get. McCulloch are pretty widely available as are homelites. Just watch Craigslist in your area and snag them as they come up.

Thank you ML12, kinda interested in a P61 in very good shape. Planning to go see it asap.
I was thinking of setting the worn cup that isn't catching on the rt and then adding the notch like you did on your insert.
If it doesn't work then open it up for an insert. Does that make sense?
I do like Pioneers for sure!

Had a productive evening, made two pull starter rope guide pulleys and one axle screw. The RA was missing the complete deal and the 650 pulley was worn through Made a clip and three rivets to repair the latch on the RA. Made a foot rest and the lower clamp on the RA as well. Need to find a clutch drum for the old girl. Chain is loose where worn but climbs out of the wear onto fresh teeth and binds up like crazy.
Need to fix that before it runs.
Got a carb kit and fuel lines yesterday.
Will take the chain off and see if she runs tomorrow.
Have very fond memories of the man that ran this saw. My Uncle heated a 1200 Sq ft bungalow until he was around 75 years old. We had a wood fired forced air furnace for twenty years in that house. Cut a lot of white poplar with that RA.
Cheers

Found a clutch drum on Ebay. Curious to know if it sounds right 51 drivers of 404 chain on a 16" Bar? A fellow an hour away can make me a chain but if I count wrong that would burn.....
Today will see two more carb kits installed in the 650s and a couple start attempts :)
Wish me luck

RA is a runner!!
Fresh gas, fired on first squirt in carb, second squirting stayed running on its own. Tweak screws and idle down all good for now. Stop it then is running on about a foot of rope. Awesome. Now I need a chain oh yes and an exhaust gasket. Pretty slobbery out front

Found a clutch drum on Ebay. Curious to know if it sounds right 51 drivers of 404 chain on a 16" Bar? A fellow an hour away can make me a chain but if I count wrong that would burn.....
Today will see two more carb kits installed in the 650s and a couple start attempts :)
Wish me luck

RA is a runner!!
Fresh gas, fired on first squirt in carb, second squirting stayed running on its own. Tweak screws and idle down all good for now. Stop it then is running on about a foot of rope. Awesome. Now I need a chain oh yes and an exhaust gasket. Pretty slobbery out front

Addressing your question concerning drive link count for a 16" bar, if the bar is a hardnose Pioneer bar they usually required 56 drive links of .404 chain. Other makers of chain bars could and did take different numbers as not all makers bars measure up to the claimed length. Gets tricky with DL count running unknown bars. If you were to clean the back end of the bar where it mounts to the saw there should be numbers stamped in the steel, they should give DL count and bar gauge such as .050, .058 or .063 ga.

IMG_8113.JPG A great afternoon here in sunny Alberta!
First 650 is a runner as well.
Pulled the clutch as it came with a 3/8 058 roller tip bar? The rim sprocket is indeed 3/8 pitch so good to go. Cleaned and lightly oiled bearing.
Carb kit and fuel lines after repairing a rotted weld on the bottom of the fuel tank. Looks to be corrosion damage from ethanol?
Gassed up and a squirt in the carb fired first pull, went for a second pull and the rewind came to the end and would not retract. GRRRR
Pulled it apart and the clip for the spring broke off. Put the other 650 starter on and she is running.
Had filed the chain and so tested on a couple logs and cuts decent for an abused chain. Engine runs strong
Happy here
Walter

It appears the RA with the shorty bar needs 51 drivers and the 650 with the 20" Bar uses 63 drivers. The 650 with the 3/8 setup wears 71 drivers.
Will get new chains tomorrow as I ponder how to fix that pulley.

Beautiful RA you have there.
I agree that it is begging for more bar. I could put that short bar on the Mac15.
I put the 20" off the 650 on it for now.
Thank you so much for the offer of parts!! Appreciated
So far: rewind pulley, motor side chain guide plate, clutch nut and exhaust gasket.
Also a proper air filter and filter cap, plus a starter handle.
Cheers
Walter

I'm looking for a pioneer p5x or p6x saw. I have a p51 and a p61. I would prefer a p60/61/62, but it seems impossible to find. If anyone knows where to find one, id be very greatfull.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a pioneer p5x or p6x saw. I have a p51 and a p61. I would prefer a p60/61/62, but it seems impossible to find. If anyone knows where to find one, id be very greatfull.

Are you looking to collect the whole series or is there something particular that you're looking for?

The P60/61 are almost identical and I don't think there's much difference between the 60/61 and the 62.

I'm going to be putting a 51 and 61 on the Trading Post here or eBay in the near future but that's not what you're wanting I believe.

They pop up for sale here occasionally and on eBay a little more frequently but you have to keep checking, they usually sell pretty quickly.

I'm looking for a saw to put on the other end of my cm. I've been running my p61 and loving it. I use the p51 for milling smaller stuff, but I just got some massive maples down on my property and need to cut 5' wide... I would love to start collecting the whole series... But... They don't come around often.

I'm looking for a saw to put on the other end of my cm. I've been running my p61 and loving it. I use the p51 for milling smaller stuff, but I just got some massive maples down on my property and need to cut 5' wide... I would love to start collecting the whole series... But... They don't come around often.

I sent you a message on this.

Beautiful RA you have there.
I agree that it is begging for more bar. I could put that short bar on the Mac15.
I put the 20" off the 650 on it for now.
Thank you so much for the offer of parts!! Appreciated
So far: rewind pulley, motor side chain guide plate, clutch nut and exhaust gasket.
Also a proper air filter and filter cap, plus a starter handle.
Cheers
Walter

well, didn't come up w/much...
both bar plates. clutch nut, but crossed thread. really only good for comparing to possible replacements. something not on your list was top cover latch, which ya mentioned fixin. I have a new one. its galv. rather than chrome. of 4 ra's ive had, all are chrome. yours if you want them.

Back