Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, didn't come up w/much...
both bar plates. clutch nut, but crossed thread. really only good for comparing to possible replacements. something not on your list was top cover latch, which ya mentioned fixin. I have a new one. its galv. rather than chrome. of 4 ra's ive had, all are chrome. yours if you want them.
Thank you Rocket, my latch piece on cover was broken so made that piece and turned some rivets of aluminum for now.
I would gladly take the plates. Mine are chewed a bit.
Walter

Having a blast with my Pioneers! Now that Mac15 POS. Not so much. Would appreciate chatting about it but unsure where?
AND! A P61 wants to come to my house.
Quite cool this morning, started all three Pioneers, RA and first 650, fired up on second pull, choke off and sat there running. 2nd 650, took an extra pull.
Very cool old saws.

Edit: no spark! pulled flywheel on that Mac, reset, carefully cleaned points, good spark.
Back together and the beast runs. It NEVER ran that I remember so kinda pumped now.
Cheers

Here are some photos of my p61 and some massive maple logs I'm excited to chew up. I have yet to cut the stump down. 6' tall by 9' wide. Can't wait.
I have a 72" double end bar ordered and the new steel end bars from Granberg are also coming. I'm adding a winch as well. Once I get the second p61 mounted up, I'll post some pics of the chips flying.
a83b5d1a348a388407300e94d1f0f87a.jpg
aa3fb4c8f6f03b6bb649e88c7fda130d.jpg
d9e8d42a2e2e5d2c23428bda11a4215e.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Nice P61. I always hope I'll happen across one at a yard sale -- no luck so far.

I did find a P42 that I rebuilt a few years ago - pictures attached. It was from after the Pioneer Partner merger and was Partner orange; but I had it powder coated by an outfit that said they could match the original colours and then called me back after they'd blasted the remnants of the original finish away to say they couldn't. So I'm glad it's well-protected, but I've never been entirely happy with the paint. :) Oh well.

Apart from that, great saw! Lots of pull and very tough. Made a very bad judgement call one day and had an ash widow maker fall on top of me -- mangled my hardhat and the saw handle. Once I realized I hadn't been seriously hurt, I kicked-myself for wrecking my saw; but when I got it back home and took the mangled handle back off, everything else straightened out and there was nothing else wrong except the grounding switch wire had come loose.

7a299e9a2175ba0050f66d30ac34b44a.jpg

ea92ff4d9580fb9974e8ef16a0be3152.jpg

fe64241856f3c0c2bad173830e4724f3.jpg

Here are some photos of my p61 and some massive maple logs I'm excited to chew up. I have yet to cut the stump down. 6' tall by 9' wide. Can't wait.
I have a 72" double end bar ordered and the new steel end bars from Granberg are also coming. I'm adding a winch as well. Once I get the second p61 mounted up, I'll post some pics of the chips flying.
a83b5d1a348a388407300e94d1f0f87a.jpg
aa3fb4c8f6f03b6bb649e88c7fda130d.jpg
d9e8d42a2e2e5d2c23428bda11a4215e.jpg

Two of those big yellow saws ought to really throw some chips. Looking forward to seeing pictures and or video of that.

Nice P61. I always hope I'll happen across one at a yard sale -- no luck so far.

I did find a P42 that I rebuilt a few years ago - pictures attached. It was from after the Pioneer Partner merger and was Partner orange; but I had it powder coated by an outfit that said they could match the original colours and then called me back after they'd blasted the remnants of the original finish away to say they couldn't. So I'm glad it's well-protected, but I've never been entirely happy with the paint. :) Oh well.

Apart from that, great saw! Lots of pull and very tough. Made a very bad judgement call one day and had an ash widow maker fall on top of me -- mangled my hardhat and the saw handle. Once I realized I hadn't been seriously hurt, I kicked-myself for wrecking my saw; but when I got it back home and took the mangled handle back off, everything else straightened out and there was nothing else wrong except the grounding switch wire had come loose.

7a299e9a2175ba0050f66d30ac34b44a.jpg

ea92ff4d9580fb9974e8ef16a0be3152.jpg

fe64241856f3c0c2bad173830e4724f3.jpg

Glad you and the saw made it through in good shape considering. Good looking saw.

I was able to get one (i.e. coil for larger P-series ) through Rottman Sales within the past year or two. ( But definitely a lot harder to source than I'd like.)

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk

It makes an amazing milling saw. The torque is exactly what you need when you are milling. Pioneers are the champions of torque. I run it super rich and mix 24:1 to keep it in excellent shape. She never gets real hot and pulls as strong as an ox. Sometimes it scares me how much power it has... But so far I haven't busted a chain.
Sometimes I use my ms362 for the minimill, and let me tell you... It's painfully slow after using a pioneer. I also have a p51 I used to use on the minimill... Until the module died.

Hey guys! I am on the hunt for some Pioneer P40 parts, specifically a new coil (the original one went bad), but also things such as a carb kit and some fresh lines! If anyone has a coil they are willing to part with or knows where I can come about these, I am new to working on pioneers, but before the spark went out on me, this saw was a monster starting up after not running for who knows how long, I think they started producing these in the early 60's... Cant wait to hear her purr again!

Tim,

Thank you, yes I did see that post. I picked up one of those ignitions and now just need to make the time to get it modified and mounted up. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works!

Keep us posted how it works out for you.
A few guys have been doing some work on substitute common coils for the old saws. It could make buying one without spark a lot more palatable.

Hey guys! I am on the hunt for some Pioneer P40 parts, specifically a new coil (the original one went bad), but also things such as a carb kit and some fresh lines! If anyone has a coil they are willing to part with or knows where I can come about these, I am new to working on pioneers, but before the spark went out on me, this saw was a monster starting up after not running for who knows how long, I think they started producing these in the early 60's... Cant wait to hear her purr again!

p40 is points fired. check those first. dont quote me on carb kit, but believe it's readily available. thinkin tilly rk23?
someone else can confirm or gimme a Good For You

Latest posts

Back