Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Jerry or anyone else familiar with the FarmSaw;
I no longer have a bad FarmSaw take-up spool so I cannot test this idea...
Would it be possible with a narrow kerf (Japanese pull saw) saw to cut the spiral flutes loose from take up spool, turn them end for end, and glue them back where they came from? I wouldn't think it critical for the base of the spiral flutes (there could even be a thin round spacer added, no flutes required), the top certainly is.
My biggest concern with this idea is the screw that goes through the center.
Lou

@ Jerry or anyone else familiar with the FarmSaw;
I no longer have a bad FarmSaw take-up spool so I cannot test this idea...
Would it be possible with a narrow kerf (Japanese pull saw) saw to cut the spiral flutes loose from take up spool, turn them end for end, and glue them back where they came from? I wouldn't think it critical for the base of the spiral flutes (there could even be a thin round spacer added, no flutes required), the top certainly is.
My biggest concern with this idea is the screw that goes through the center.
Lou

May be possible but not sure any glue would hold the nylon parts together. It would be easier to scrounge up a good used one, well it would be for me anyway. Luckily Pioneers were plentiful around these parts.

Do you have a part number for that coil?
What modifications had to be done?
The MSgt in me makes me ask... FarmSaw (orange), not FarmLite.
TIA
Lou

There are a number of the coils like these out there. Lots of different supplier selling them and prices are all over the place. Note the Husky saws the coil works on and get one of those.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...03901201-503-90-12-01/104159_32302118202.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Co...262-XP-266-268-272-XP-544018401-/181120084637

I added a couple of simple brackets you could make with a hacksaw, drill and an 8-32 tap. I think some of those coils are smaller the the one I have which was kindly donated for some tests by DSS.

What I did with a couple of pics and a short piss rev vid.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pioneer-chainsaws.70698/page-542#post-6204069

If the link doesn't work it's back on page 542

OK guys had a bit of time tonight to play around with the nu17 coil and primer bulb. The primer bulb my non return rubber washer was perished so I cut a similar size one out of a rubber washer and it's now working a treat.
the coil I used a evinrude/jonhson core out of a 4hp outboard and snug fit to the armature.
Gave half an hour pulling like a young man to no smoke....
Then the battery drill with 16mm socket came in for 1 minute and still nothing.
Was about to give up and go home for a bucket of Jameson but I decided to pull it by hand once or twice......
IT'S ALIVE
I'm now the very proud owner of a nu17 that looks old and used but not ready for the scrap yet!
I would like to thank everybody that helped me either with mechanical advice,technical and moral support.
I'm a very happy man going home tonight.
Thanks guys

There are a number of the coils like these out there. Lots of different supplier selling them and prices are all over the place. Note the Husky saws the coil works on and get one of those.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...03901201-503-90-12-01/104159_32302118202.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Co...262-XP-266-268-272-XP-544018401-/181120084637

I added a couple of simple brackets you could make with a hacksaw, drill and an 8-32 tap. I think some of those coils are smaller the the one I have which was kindly donated for some tests by DSS.

What I did with a couple of pics and a short piss rev vid.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pioneer-chainsaws.70698/page-542#post-6204069

If the link doesn't work it's back on page 542
Thanks Tim;
I swear on a stack of UCMJs I've read every post to this thread for the past 11 years. Somehow I missed that one.
Lou
PS RocketNorton tells me he'll be posting a FarmSaw repair (starter and ignition) to this thread in the near future.

Thanks Tim;
I swear on a stack of UCMJs I've read every post to this thread for the past 11 years. Somehow I missed that one.
Lou
PS RocketNorton tells me he'll be posting a FarmSaw repair (starter and ignition) to this thread in the near future.
l

I trust you saw the ones on the 365 coil for the P41 series and up as well. They could come in very handy. I also did on on the Homelite XL-76 (XL-103 and up) wih the blue coils as well.
Hoggwood was the one that started all this stuff in recent times and these are all fairly simple swaps if you're a bit handy.

Thank you for the coil idea it worked a treat.

Happy you got it running, nice to get old saws/engines up and running. I have 3 nice running NU17`s and a near mint 450 Pioneer, same saw,different color. They are really heavy for their size.

no. have heard more of the 100cc saws in his younger days.

450 is gone, someone wanted it more than me. a few have come & gone. bein able to say I have had & run em is enough sometimes. like it when younger guys want em. they gonna enjoy em for long time.
I don't advertise, word of mouth, etc.

Picked up this saw last weekend. Pulled the muffler, looks brand new inside! no spark though so I suspect the points. The paint job seems aftermarket, but looks really well done with the exception of the green outline on the tree. My 6 cube collection is growing!

20170528_162618.jpg

20170528_162633.jpg

20170528_162653.jpg

needs a starter grip and a good cleaning and it should be good to go.

if the paint falls off just re-paint it!

View attachment 581516

Cool on the Buick. Lots of old car restoration in my area. A coupla nice ones have rolled by today with the weather being perfect here for a Memorial Day cruise.

And I thought I asked this earlier about the NU17, (and speaking of old cars), is that Oldsmobile Gold for the paint? And have I seen that pic somewhere before? Looks familiar.

Yes I posted that picture before, and I don't think its oldsmobile gold, its a slightly more brown color, less orangey. I just took a piece with decent paint left on it to the parts store and started comparing until I found what I was after. The saw on Acre's site is oldsmobile gold.

got the 600 all torn down last night. its very clean inside. Going to replace the seals and bearings just because I already have them on hand.
the starter spring needs some attention, as does the starter cup. should be an easy rebuild.

Latest posts

Back