Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know. What thread size?
I've attached some pictures. I use this setup with various combinations as a puller for worm gears and a splitter for cases on a variety of saws. I'm pretty sure it's the 3/4 inch fitting in the picture that fits my P42. ( And I think all the large P series all used the same size worm gear.) If you can find a brass fitting it's kindest to the gear - but I've been successful using the regular fitting to pull the gear without hurting it. ( And I've heard of people being successful prying with screwdrivers too -- but it's a finer art. )
f7fdbcfd260bdf9ec581e1f6664e6349.jpg
69654c9074bcdee7a6c41ce826ed9fbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk

I've attached some pictures. I use this setup with various combinations as a puller for worm gears and a splitter for cases on a variety of saws. I'm pretty sure it's the 3/4 inch fitting in the picture that fits my P42. ( And I think all the large P series all used the same size worm gear.) If you can find a brass fitting it's kindest to the gear - but I've been successful using the regular fitting to pull the gear without hurting it. ( And I've heard of people being successful prying with screwdrivers too -- but it's a finer art. )
f7fdbcfd260bdf9ec581e1f6664e6349.jpg
69654c9074bcdee7a6c41ce826ed9fbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk

Thanks!, I'll make me one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I'm looking for a 600-650 complete carb and a few other small things so if anyone has a parts saw or a decently nice saw thats a 600-650 let me know I'd be interested in buying it. Thanks.

Got this all rebuilt the other day. It has really good compression and runs great! Seems to me that the clutch engages a tad too easily though, springs are likely worn out. For the few times I will likely cut with it, it should be all right. The 32" Mac bar fits it quite nicely.

20170621_135538.jpg

20170621_135604.jpg
Love the muffler on these, it just looks mean!

20170621_135641.jpg

Thanks!, I'll make me one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

l have not used the pipe fittings to remove worm gear but if it works great. Here are my Worm Gear Pullers to show what they look like.

Attachments

• Worm Pullers_001.JPG
    Worm Pullers_001.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 17
  • Worm Pullers_002.JPG
    Worm Pullers_002.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 13
These P42 is on the Bench at the moment. Saw was not bad condition so l choose not to split case and rebuild with some new and clean original used parts. will install optional Full wrap Handle and matching air filter assy.
It's looking good so far. I just picked up a p42shhp, I will post pics soon.

ML12, what saw is that?
Love those old beasts! Had a bunch of blow down poplar trees and bucked up one 14" solid tree. Very impressed by the old 650 and the 404 chain. Hope you cut some wood with that saw!!

Its a 610, quite similar to the 650. .404 is good stuff, most of my older large saws run it. Its not so good if you don't have the torque to pull it on a long bar though.

l like it, nice find. What walbro carb is on the saw ,my P42 has the Walbro SDC (21-85), H# 53D, choke shuter #62-36 with throttle Bore Dia 22.42mm
My P42 has a dual Fibre Reed setup on the reed block
Which Air filter setup is on the Saw?
l fiqure it is a Cdn built saw, pics are a little unclear. Serial # ?

l like it, nice find. What walbro carb is on the saw ,my P42 has the Walbro SDC (21-85), H# 53D, choke shuter #62-36 with throttle Bore Dia 22.42mm
My P42 has a dual Fibre Reed setup on the reed block
Which Air filter setup is on the Saw?
l fiqure it is a Cdn built saw, pics are a little unclear. Serial # ?
It has the same exact carb as your p42, the sdc 53d. The air filter and ignition are the same as a p41. I'm guessing that it's a early p42. The I'd tag reads p42shhp-s and numerically 426 404935. It has a single stage fiber reed, I was hoping for dual.

The ipl call shows the Phelon ign is correct for that saw and not the prestolite ign system which is on the P41. My P42 has the Phelon ign
The ipl has 2 different air breather styles also.
l have not seen your model with the Phelon ign on Saw before. Something new to me. Can you send pics? l will send some pics of mine later.

IMG_20170624_152624.jpg IMG_20170624_152354.jpg IMG_20170624_152624.jpg
The ipl call shows the Phelon ign is correct for that saw and not the prestolite ign system which is on the P41. My P42 has the Phelon ign
The ipl has 2 different air breather styles also.
l have not seen your model with the Phelon ign on Saw before. Something new to me. Can you send pics? l will send some pics of mine later.
Here are some more pics of the saw. I think it was somewhere here in this thread that another member had a p42 with the p41 ignition. Maybe they were using up old stock, I'm not sure.

Back