Pioneer Farmsaw 2 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A buddy's dad uses this saw with us cutting firewood. Had a new coil a couple years ago, saw was running good last season.
Went to use it this year, saw fired, ran maybe 10 seconds, and quit.

Messed with it last night, same deal. ran 5 or six seconds, quit and wouldn't restart. Acts like it has weak spark. He has a fancy light up tester, shows light when grounded direct, but not through the plug. New plug, no difference. Even tried one out of my 034S just for a laugh, same deal. I don't think it's a carb problem, a little shot of ether won't even make it fire. Compression is about 125.
Coil has a ground wire and nothing else, no points, and the trigger must be built into the coil.

Any bright ideas??

Are we looking for another coil? Is it still available? Doesn't want to park the saw, it looks good and ran great last year. He just put a new bar on it, and has about 5 new chains in stock to match.

Last edited:
Those modules are still available from Poulan. The part number is 507475320.
You don't want to be using ether on a chainsaw. Fresh mixed fuel or WD-40 is a much better alternative.

Yea, I know about ether, just a one shot deal. It will run at very low compression, but will do all kinds of damage too. If ether won't start it, something's REALLY wrong!

Thanks for the info by the way. IF we decide we need a coil and I can't find one locally, you guys will be my first call!

Sounds like it isn't producing a strong enough spark to jump the plug gap under the engine's compression. Go over your ignition and you should find the problem. May be simple like a dirty contact, or it may be pooched ignition components.

TimberPig said:
Sounds like it isn't producing a strong enough spark to jump the plug gap under the engine's compression. Go over your ignition and you should find the problem. May be simple like a dirty contact, or it may be pooched ignition components.

Yep, that's what I thought. Trouble is, the ONLY component IS the coil, it's all integral. He's decided to try a new one, should have it on tuesday.

I bought a new in the box pioneer/ partner p52 last year from a guy who had it stored on a shelf since new. It had never seen any gas in it. I bought it for $300 canadian. I have run it for about a year now and roughly bucked up about 10 tandem loads of firewood with it into 14" pieces. Anyway was that a good price and also could i get a coil for it from poulan as well? It runs perfect but just curious.
Thanks.

Pioneer Farmsaw II

You can get a new coil from Randy Duncan. He has them listed on Ebay or you can call him at: Randy or Kristal Duncan...937-927-5665. He runs a small engine business.
I have an old Farmsaw II in real good shape. Too good to throw away and it will out cut a lot of the new saws as you probably know.
I just ordered a coil from him.

One of my favorite saws is a Farmsaw. It takes a few pulls to crank, but it's ready to go after that. Had a new recoil gizmo installed by the guy I got it from. It cuts as well as any saw I have.

Back