Pioneer P51 piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba Stump

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking for some info on the Pioneer P51. I recently was cleaning out my grandfathers barn and found my granddads old timber falling saw. It is a Pioneer P51 with full wrap handlebar and a 24" bar. The saws crank is free and it has spark but very low compression. I can see scoring on the piston from the exhaust side. I also found a box of parts and there is a new crank, bearings, new cylinder and new rings. Everything is marked P51 with a magic marker so I assume it is extra parts for the saw. I tried to find a NOS piston on ebay but nothing comes up for the P51. I saw on another site where someone said a Poulan pro 525 piston is the same. Is this true? I found two new pistons for a PP525 on ebay and will get one if it will work in the P51. If it does not work in the P51, does anybody know if there is a aftermarket piston or other model powersaw piston that is interchangeable, maybe someplace that will have a NOS pioneer piston?

OK guys, I found out through some research today that the pioneer P50, P51, P52, Partner P52, and Poulan Pro 525 all use the same size piston and cylinder with minor changes. I found a p50 piston and purchased it on ebay but now all I need is a wrist pin bearing that is new. The Pioneer part # is 433289 but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Does anybody know where I could find one? some more part #'s are 475422 and 432536.

I was thinking about doing a complete rebuild from the ground up on the P51. Does anybody know were I could get the correct paint colors. I found a reproduction sticker kit off of chainsawr. I intend on keeping the saw because it was my grandfathers go to saw and was used to fall a lot of timber and also to cut more cords of firewood than I can count. My grandfather started out as a timber faller but eventually quit falling timber to start his own chainsaw repair shop. He was very mechanically inclined and could fix just about anything so when his fellow timber fallers had saw problems they would give him their saws so that he could fix them. He eventually had so many fallers bringing him saws that he never had time for anything else. Of course, the other fallers would pay him for parts and his time and he made pretty good extra money. He eventually decided he could make more money working on saws than falling timber so he took the chance and started his own repair shop, which still exists today. He always loved the Pioneer saws and was a certified Pioneer dealer. He always said that Pioneer saws were more reliable and very well thought out compared to other top brands of saws. I remember as a kid how upset he was when Pioneer sold out, went belly up or whatever the deal was. Anyway, I want to bring the saw back to its former glory and maybe even do some improvements like a custom K&N type of intake with velocity stack incorporated and maybe even a woods port job. I have never done a port job before so any advice would be appreciated. Anybody have any pics of a Pioneer woods port job?

I was thinking about doing a complete rebuild from the ground up on the P51. Does anybody know were I could get the correct paint colors. I found a reproduction sticker kit off of chainsawr. I intend on keeping the saw because it was my grandfathers go to saw and was used to fall a lot of timber and also to cut more cords of firewood than I can count. My grandfather started out as a timber faller but eventually quit falling timber to start his own chainsaw repair shop. He was very mechanically inclined and could fix just about anything so when his fellow timber fallers had saw problems they would give him their saws so that he could fix them. He eventually had so many fallers bringing him saws that he never had time for anything else. Of course, the other fallers would pay him for parts and his time and he made pretty good extra money. He eventually decided he could make more money working on saws than falling timber so he took the chance and started his own repair shop, which still exists today. He always loved the Pioneer saws and was a certified Pioneer dealer. He always said that Pioneer saws were more reliable and very well thought out compared to other top brands of saws. I remember as a kid how upset he was when Pioneer sold out, went belly up or whatever the deal was. Anyway, I want to bring the saw back to its former glory and maybe even do some improvements like a custom K&N type of intake with velocity stack incorporated and maybe even a woods port job. I have never done a port job before so any advice would be appreciated. Anybody have any pics of a Pioneer woods port job?
In the pioneer sticky we just went over the paint color that was posted.Head over to the chainsaw sticky section and check it out it's everything pioneer.

Cool story you have to keep that saw.I have my grandpa's old p-61 western and will never get rid of it.I will probably hand it down to one of my boys eventually,but still using it and having fun for now.

Cool story you have to keep that saw.I have my grandpa's old p-61 western and will never get rid of it.I will probably hand it down to one of my boys eventually,but still using it and having fun for now.
I was talking it over with my brother and he wants to go in halfers on the parts cost and the labor to restore the saw. We want to give it to my dad when it is done. My grandfather pasted away when I was twelve from a burst aneurism in his head. My grandmother kind of locked all his things away in the barn and never would let anybody in the family go in there. I am thirtyfive now and she has gone to live with my aunt because of her age. She told my brother and I to clean out the barn and take whatever we wanted as long as we keep the house and property in good order for her. Most of the stuff in the barn was just nuts, bolts, old tools, and projects my granddad started but never finished. My dad always had a pioneer farm saw he would use to cut firewood and like my grandpa always loved Pioneer. His Farm saw is still running but is wore out and runs like a sick cat. I think giving him his dads saw restored will be a good way keep the saw a part of the family history. I know My brother and I will get it back one day and hopefully be able to share it with our families in the future.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/restoring-a-pioneer-p50.205588/

Still have not yet found a NOS or newer replacement wrist pin bearing but am in no hurry. I did get in the new P50 piston and was wanting to know if anybody knows what the ring end gap should be. The rings look really tight to me but I really don't know if it is correct or not. Anybody know what the ring gap minimum should be or maybe you could steer me in the right direction to find this info?

Piston ring gap .088/.108 in the pioneer service manual.Did ya try Rottman sales and custom chainsaw parts?
P61 western, I got to looking at the parts I have better and found that the NOS Crank that I have already has a new wristpin bearing on it. The oil on the crank was holding it in the connecting rod so I am good on the wristpin bearing. I did find another problem though. I had found a new aftermarket piston at littleredbar but it was for a P50. A local guy I know said that the P50, P51, and P52 used the same size piston, cylinder ect. so I figured this piston would work. What I found was the piston wristpin was fatter than the wristpin bearing. I guess what my friend told me was false because the pin that came with the piston won't work. I am now back to square one with a new piston and piston wristpin. I do have a NOS set of rings for the correct Pioneer P51 piston though. I guess I will have to keep searching for a new P51 piston and pin.

P61 western, I got to looking at the parts I have better and found that the NOS Crank that I have already has a new wristpin bearing on it. The oil on the crank was holding it in the connecting rod so I am good on the wristpin bearing. I did find another problem though. I had found a new aftermarket piston at littleredbar but it was for a P50. A local guy I know said that the P50, P51, and P52 used the same size piston, cylinder ect. so I figured this piston would work. What I found was the piston wristpin was fatter than the wristpin bearing. I guess what my friend told me was false because the pin that came with the piston won't work. I am now back to square one with a new piston and piston wristpin. I do have a NOS set of rings for the correct Pioneer P51 piston though. I guess I will have to keep searching for a new P51 piston and pin.
Bubba I will do some research and see what I can come up with.

I'm thinking they sent you the wrong piston.I looked at the ipl's for the 50,51 and the 52,and the piston pin and bearings are all the same part number.I bought rings for a p-51 that fit my p-52 just fine.Little red barn has a listing for a p-52 piston that should work for you.Heck if ya had the parts you could put a p-60 or p-61 top end on it.

Just a thought maybe the nos crank isn't for that saw.Might want to take the cylinder off your saw and see if the piston you got fits that crank.Just would suck to buy another piston you might not need.

Latest posts

Back