Piston stop tool (business end) thickness?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have one but so others know... metal or plastic/rubber?

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Thickness of tip......... oh boy

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Thanks, its not the $6+/- cost, its the time to get one, and I have a whole bunch of 1/2" Starboard. I'd most likely screw up the rope trick.

One must always remember, just thick enough to do the job, also I use the rope trick. it's a little softer and if for some reason the clutch or flywheel Is super tight. it gives it a little cushion

In the many dozens of saws I've worked on, can't say I've ever needed a piston stop. What are you guys doing to need one?
Clutch removal? Use an impact gun or a brass punch. Be careful with the punch though, I'm told if you do it wrong you can break the crank. I've never had trouble.

I use an aluminum one that threads into the spark plug hole or I use a rope. I haven't had too much luck with the plastic kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I don't use a stop (rope for me) to re-install clutch it will fly off

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

If I don't use a stop (rope for me) to re-install clutch it will fly off

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Rattle it down with impact or a good whack with brass punch. Doesn't need to be crazy tight.
Dunno, I've never had a need for a stopper. Not sure we even have one in the shop and they've been open 25 years.

I just knocked the guts out of an old spark plug then drilled and tapped it to 3/8-24 and threaded a 3/8"-24 bolt in seems to work for me. I just use it for finding TDC. I definitely wouldn't use it for tightening a clutch or flywheel.

I just knocked the guts out of an old spark plug then drilled and tapped it to 3/8-24 and threaded a 3/8"-24 bolt in seems to work for me. I just use it for finding TDC. I definitely wouldn't use it for tightening a clutch or flywheel.

I seen a damaged piston from someone use a steel piston stop. It had a large indention mashed into it and a crack in the indention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back