Planer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you figure they chew through blades? We have thousands of board feet on the knives in our 18" planer. It's a Grizzly brand, 7hp I think (pulls close to 30 amps)

I have a Delta 12.5" portable planer that I like. My only complaint, and it is a big one, is that the part holding the cutter head is only supported in the middle on each side. This makes the first and last three inches of the board worthless. That is an awful lot of waste. The next planer I own will be a four poster for sure. On the other hand, it is light and very portable. I have built two kitchens with it and there is no question about it being decently built for the price. It is what I use to plane all of my milled would under 12".
Have you actually tried to adjust the snipe out of it??

If all else fails, hot glue some scrap to the sides of the piece you are planning that are 3" longer on each end of your good board. They will keep the cut flat through your good board...

SR

For live edge slabs I don't need to be perfect flat, so I use a Jet 16-32 drum sander. A friend is a custom cabinet maker and I think I'd have to sell my truck to buy his 18" planer. For big slabs there are a lot of pics and video on planer tables with routers on sleds, Joe.

Umm, you all here in 2016 realize that the posts you're responding to are six years old?

For live edge slabs I don't need to be perfect flat, so I use a Jet 16-32 drum sander. A friend is a custom cabinet maker and I think I'd have to sell my truck to buy his 18" planer. For big slabs there are a lot of pics and video on planer tables with routers on sleds, Joe.
Thanks Joe. I'm looking into that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Umm, you all here in 2016 realize that the posts you're responding to are six years old?
Yes, I was looking for a general discussion on planers for a general newb question. Posting here meant that I didn't have to start a new thread, and we could take a special trip down memory lane... [emoji7] [emoji89]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reports on the spiral head planers are pretty good lot less noise- I have heard good and bad about the carbide vs high speed steel inserts for those heads. Likely a lot depends on the machine and type of wood. Same as a metal lathe and HSS vs carbide tools there, each has its place. Mass is always your friend when comes to machine tools metal or wood. ( I am more of a metal than wood guy. Nothing like a horizontal milling machine to flatten out boards or my giant over arm routers - vertical knee or turret mills). I do have a PM66 cabinet saw , a heavy Grizzly wood shaper and a chi com 6" jointer ( for flattening boards on a jointer may I recommend something larger than 6" )

Back