Playing around

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue12v

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday me and my cutting buddy went to a small farm that had an acre and a half of small maples to clear next to the road. We got there and found they were really small maples. Like 3-5" diameter mostly with lots of smaller saplings all over. Guy had a commercial chipper on site and said just pile the brush. After a couple hours of wasting time there, we realized all we were getting done was dragging brush for very very little usable wood so we skipped out and headed to his grandmother's property where some hunting trails needed opened up. By then it was getting late in the day so we didn't get a ton done, especially after she had is trim a couple trees in her yard. But we had a good time and took a few pictures so thought I'd share. Through the yard, a creek crossing then up into the woods where we had to cross a handful of mud holes in the trail. My 4wd garden tractor drug 10-14" diameter logs 12-20' long back to the trailer without complaint. And we drug no brush! We cut them to manageable length to load onto the trailer. Lol unfortunately we didn't get near as much done as we hoped at the end of the day but the weather was nice and it was a fun day.
80dfc04403a201f9a77dd2e4678bde0e.jpg
2a0b959b229c9909fd5547bb5b74867c.jpg
4234fb4688f4c0a529be7f5e7d1fd320.jpg
2d44067da52bf8fc445fe284a95f1507.jpg
170f6b1f0c19ebebce347d93f901b48b.jpg
1575ceb6beaecf6438660cd947561ba2.jpg
58a4a61d0a05fe9df80f06f10e505d89.jpg

Yesterday me and my cutting buddy went to a small farm that had an acre and a half of small maples to clear next to the road. We got there and found they were really small maples. Like 3-5" diameter mostly with lots of smaller saplings all over. Guy had a commercial chipper on site and said just pile the brush. After a couple hours of wasting time there, we realized all we were getting done was dragging brush for very very little usable wood so we skipped out and headed to his grandmother's property where some hunting trails needed opened up. By then it was getting late in the day so we didn't get a ton done, especially after she had is trim a couple trees in her yard. But we had a good time and took a few pictures so thought I'd share. Through the yard, a creek crossing then up into the woods where we had to cross a handful of mud holes in the trail. My 4wd garden tractor drug 10-14" diameter logs 12-20' long back to the trailer without complaint. And we drug no brush! We cut them to manageable length to load onto the trailer. Lol unfortunately we didn't get near as much done as we hoped at the end of the day but the weather was nice and it was a fun day.
80dfc04403a201f9a77dd2e4678bde0e.jpg
2a0b959b229c9909fd5547bb5b74867c.jpg
4234fb4688f4c0a529be7f5e7d1fd320.jpg
2d44067da52bf8fc445fe284a95f1507.jpg
170f6b1f0c19ebebce347d93f901b48b.jpg
1575ceb6beaecf6438660cd947561ba2.jpg
58a4a61d0a05fe9df80f06f10e505d89.jpg
What kind of winch do you have on your garden tractor?

2000# ATV winch from farm store I think it's traveler brand. No complaints but hardly use it. Did use it to free a hang up tree that Brian dropped the wrong way while I was hauling a load to the truck lol. Gotta work on that guy's felling technique.... Yesterday convinced me to make a skidder attachment for the 3 point hitch on back of this tractor and one for his Kubota B2300 4wd. The Kubota will really pull logs I think. Yesterday convinced me that we need to gear up to do wood logging style instead of bucking on site and lifting rounds into the truck. Screw that. Our backs weren't hurting one bit. We're on a mission to build a self loading and unloading log trailer now.

Looks like you had a good enough day but you could use a few more saws. Not sure if you seen the arch and trailers I built for my Steiner or not but they may give you some ideas for the 4x4. If you can get the butt off the ground you can pull some big stuff. They are fun to use and can make a decent pile in a hurry.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/steiner-logging.256905/

Looks like you had a good enough day but you could use a few more saws. Not sure if you seen the arch and trailers I built for my Steiner or not but they may give you some ideas for the 4x4. If you can get the butt off the ground you can pull some big stuff. They are fun to use and can make a decent pile in a hurry.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/steiner-logging.256905/
We had more than enough saws lol two didn't even get fired up (unless you were being sarcastic lol). I don't think I recall seeing your pics but I've been wanting to build an arch for a while, after yesterday's success skidding them I'm really wanting to get switched to hauling wood out in logs so I'm really wanting an arch now.

Nice setup that is quite the assortment of saws you got there . I'm digging the tractor rig ...More than once I have promised to do some chores that I thought would pan out in my favor only to realize it was way more trouble than it was worth .you gotta do like Kenny says : know when to hold em when to fold when to walk away

I would sure like to find one of those 4 wheel drive garden tractors. Don't hardly ever see one for sale.
That's because they weren't really ever made. I made this one. John Deere makes a couple models that are, but other than that I don't know of any that were ever made factory 4wd, other than Steiner/Ventrac which I'm not sure if they're classified as a garden tractor or not since they articulate.

I have the tires in this one filled with fluid. I converted it to 4wd, power steering, built the 3 point hitch (it's a rare factory option) and added a hydraulic top link. I also replaced the front frame rails with heavier steel. Added winch, upgraded seat and cupholder, added cooler (gets used like a tool box half the time) and a 12V power outlet in the dash. Upgraded tire sizes to 26/12/12 rear and 18/9.50/8 front. Other than that it's all stock lmao.

Nice wood haul. I have a request, the 6th pic down shows two of the axles, can you take a pic showing all three at that same angle and closeness? I have a trailer I have to add a third axle and looking for a good pic of the center one.
Thank you and happy cutting :)

OK< I just read your last reply about the tractor, do you have any more info on how you did that? What front axle did you use etc. etc.

That's all fine and good, but where is the diversity of saws? You just might get the government on you. Where are the huskies?

Nice wood haul. I have a request, the 6th pic down shows two of the axles, can you take a pic showing all three at that same angle and closeness? I have a trailer I have to add a third axle and looking for a good pic of the center one.
Thank you and happy cutting :)

OK< I just read your last reply about the tractor, do you have any more info on how you did that? What front axle did you use etc. etc.

Dave I'll be happy to get that picture for you here after a bit. I have all the info in my head, there's a lot of pictures of the process on my Facebook but none on this phone, my computer has been broke a couple years, I don't miss it much. But conversion was last summer anyway. Front axle is out of the back of an all wheel steer lawn tractor.
That's all fine and good, but where is the diversity of saws? You just might get the government on you. Where are the huskies?
We have diversity, several sizes to choose from. A huskie? What's a huskie?

2000# ATV winch from farm store I think it's traveler brand. No complaints but hardly use it. Did use it to free a hang up tree that Brian dropped the wrong way while I was hauling a load to the truck lol. Gotta work on that guy's felling technique.... Yesterday convinced me to make a skidder attachment for the 3 point hitch on back of this tractor and one for his Kubota B2300 4wd. The Kubota will really pull logs I think. Yesterday convinced me that we need to gear up to do wood logging style instead of bucking on site and lifting rounds into the truck. Screw that. Our backs weren't hurting one bit. We're on a mission to build a self loading and unloading log trailer now.
Thanks for the info.

OK cool, I'll be waiting! LOL
Front of front axle's springs are on a standard hanger. Rear of rear axle's springs are on standard hanger. The rest of the spring ends are connected to each other with the leveler things (whose name evades me presently), those are mounted to standard hangers and springs mounted to outward holes. Basically it keeps the load distributed evenly to all axles at all times. Right now the tongue is jacked up so they're all tilted instead of sitting level. Hope pics help.
bae0eebfc14710a968bb3b3b324fdba1.jpg
d5ad7a050f3acbded407f839a2e4f3cb.jpg
f66b2b9938bc609e75a241ad61ca60e9.jpg

Those things are called equalizers. And normally you will have shorter hangers on the two ends with longer one in the two center points.
Within the current two-party system there is only left, and hard left. The hysteria mainly shifts opinion between those two factions.

Those things are called equalizers. And normally you will have shorter hangers on the two ends with longer one in the two center points.
Yes equalizers! Sorry beer thirty was hours ago lol. The mounts are exactly where they were when I got the trailer and it works so I left it alone lol
Huskies are for girls or people would cut romantic wood. You know the little white paper covered tree branches. Oh and they are for giving to people who ask to borrow a saw. Kind of like a kids foam sword, hard to get hurt using them.
LMAO!!!!! My 5 year old has a foam sword if I could find it I was gonna take a pic of it for you and label it "huskie" lol

Thank you for taking the time to get the pic. It's about how I have envisioned it. I think I'm going to have to move my rear hanger a little then add the third axle and third mount.
thanks again and happy cuttin'
dave

If I remember right, the distance between the two inter hangers is 33 1/2 inches center hole to center hole. From front and rear hangers to the corresponding inter hanger center hole is 27 inches. You can probably go online to verify that as it has been some 30 years for me using those numbers.

Back