Playing with chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a goofy file they're not too bad. It's a little more forgiving than square filing in my limited experience. Also makes converting round to square a little bit easier for me.
Yeah, I got some of those, but have not tried em yet.
I can make round filed chain cut damn fast, just need to spend more time with this goofy stuff...

Sorry I should have specified. Are you referring to the angle under the top plate?

The black is what forward lean would look like

8bd6eb4946b453ecf3cb13f0fd6b6f62.jpg

Well I've got a chain roughed in. I'll make a video in the morning. I need to buy a new file or two hard to make a chain look good with a clapped out file. I've still got some work to do on it but I'm going to do some cuts before and see what the difference is.
edd94ee94e0b9dd26f30366983229113.jpg

Most of the time my cutters look more up and down than those ,those were the most leaning images i could find

cuttin, how are you getting away from any lean? i understand what your sayin about tearing.
Well file position and getting my top plate angle where I want it. I worry about that before anything else. It's kind of hard for me to explain. But it boils down to when I'm concentrating on my corner and top plate angle I tend to roll my file clockwise which takes too much out of the gullet leaving me with way too much forward lean.

cuttin, how are you getting away from any lean? i understand what your sayin about tearing.

Well file position and getting my top plate angle where I want it. I worry about that before anything else. It's kind of hard for me to explain. But it boils down to when I'm concentrating on my corner and top plate angle I tend to roll my file clockwise which takes too much out of the gullet leaving me with way too much forward lean.
Here's an example
44bbd0255682994718dbc01e91c30215.jpg

so your filing closer to vertical then? i run the rakers around .020 any more and it seems to get grabby. i do cut mostly large hardwood, and with 32-36" bars. lately i really seem to be having trouble with 404....can't seem to decide on an angle, i think what your sayin about forward lean may come into play here. also, what is a single bevel file?

Mike, what chain model is that in your pic?

so your filing closer to vertical then? i run the rakers around .020 any more and it seems to get grabby. i do cut mostly large hardwood, and with 32-36" bars. lately i really seem to be having trouble with 404....can't seem to decide on an angle, i think what your sayin about forward lean may come into play here. also, what is a single bevel file?

Mike, what chain model is that in your pic?
A single bit file looks like a double bevel cut in half. It has 4 corners instead of 6. The cutters are taller on .404 so it's going to take a bigger bite. Raker height may need to be lower.

Back